Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Great Dome Schedule Sightings Status

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1490232  by mtuandrew

XC: nah, no need to build out new seats. I wouldn’t change anything on a Viewliner diner being used for sightseeing service, unless and only if Amtrak finds a cheap and reversible way to use them for cafe service. They might still be used as diners in the future. Also, the seats can’t be that much worse than those in the Great Dome, or in a normal cafe car.
 #1490289  by XC Tower

Borrowing the description of the scenery along Lake Champlain on the Adirondack’s route of an older gentleman who I spoke to while sitting next to in Schenecteady’s new station (beautiful building) that was part of a group of fifty coming south on a tour riding on train #68, “The beauty far exceeded my expectations!” Twice I had the blessing to ride round trip on journeys aboard the Ocean View to enjoy the ride in a dome car along this route. I truly hope that opportunity will remain for all to enjoy in the future!
Can anyone suggest who do I write in New York State expressing my wishes? I’d appreciate it.

XC
 #1490465  by Backshophoss

There might be a couple of "regular" Dome cars that could be saved(salvaged) from the "great stainless steel graveyard" at Granite City IL.
Then brought back up to current Amtrak pvt cars specs,and kept a safe place between runs on the Downeaster or Adirondack,
with proper sponsorship by the State tourist depts,with some pvt sponsors as well.
 #1490494  by XC Tower

Thank you, Backshophoss, for the information on locating a couple of dome cars for both the Downeaster and or Adirondack.
While having not rode on the Downeaster, I honestly feel that the view from a dome car adds so much to enjoying the beauty of a the route, as has been the case on the Adirondack. So much so, it could be in this day, marketed to bring tourists to a beautiful area. Upstate New York with the Adirondacks and views of Lake Champlain is stunning. Even the name of Lake Placid is a draw. The folks in the region could surely use the revenue. I am going to find an address to write someone in authority within New York State to express my opinions on this. When doing so, I will share their address (Hopefully, this is permitted on this forum)
I try to be an understated man,not bringing attention to what I have done or myself in any way, but please do allow me to say that my first rides aboard Amtrak in the America's west featured dome cars on the trains, resulting in an appreciation of the land that no other ride could. Aside from the Adirondack, in the East, I did experience the vista's aboard the Capitol Limited in a dome car.
In Canada, I have gone both west and east aboard trains with dome cars on them with the same effect. Simply put, riding in a dome car adds so much to the overall effect of riding the train as a true step out of the ordinary in life. There is no ride quite like it on one in my opinion.
I am just one person, but added to others, if reaching the right person or people, I believe that my voice can make a difference.

xc
 #1499333  by mtuandrew

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote:Is the Dome still stored, or did they sell it off / scrap it?

Earlier in the thread it was mentioned a few folks like the Northern New England Passenger Rail Authority might be interested in it.
Still in Amtrak possession. There would be riots at Beech Grove if someone ordered it scrapped!

If NNEPRA (or Indiana, NCDOT, California, whoever) wants a dome, there are arguably better options for sale or lease.
 #1505802  by Railjunkie

Was told last night she was going for scrap. Got this directly from the yard master who likely got the info from a road foreman or the General Foreman at the shop. The car had not moved off track 8 for close to 3 months. Ill check tonight with someone who has far better connections within the company than myself.

I get the car was popular but she had LOTS of issues, brakes being the biggest. It was nothing but a money pit. Hate to see it go but good riddance.
 #1505807  by eolesen

How many other 63 year old cars does Amtrak still keep operational?...

It's not one of a kind, fortunately. Iowa Pacific has a GN sister plus most of the ATSF Budd cousins. Then there's also the two P-S full domes that still exist.