Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Great Dome Schedule Sightings Status

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1489434  by NaugyRR

Thanks for the heads up mackdave, now I can make sure I grab a seat once we get to Albany tomorrow
 #1489442  by mtuandrew

Amtrak706 wrote:Interesting idea but what semi retired equipment are you referring to as “A-2s”? If you mean Amfleet 2s, they are not even close to being retired yet.
I do mean the Amfleet IIs, because this can’t happen yet without a lot of retired NEC-capable 125 mph-rated cars! That could be A-IIs, A-Is, and/or Horizons. The specialty cars would be the icing on top
 #1489510  by jp1822

mackdave wrote:Found out on today’s trip that the Great Dome had the bad wheels trued today and it will run tomorrow and finish the schedule.

Mackdave
MMC should have been able to do this pretty easily, especially if the car was already there. Not sure that it is normal to "set the handbrake" on this car alone.......
 #1489511  by jp1822

Amtrak706 wrote:
mtuandrew wrote:I’ve suggested this before and I’m not quite sure about its practicality, but Ocean View seems like a prime candidate for a Friends of Amtrak, LLC. By that I mean a nonprofit equipment trust willing to maintain equipment in good working order for seasonal lease to Amtrak at a nominal cost. It would lease and take responsibility for specialty equipment like the Great Dome (plus any other domes it wished to acquire) as well as turnkey train sets made of semi-retired Amtrak equipment like A-2s. During the off-seasons, the Trust could solicit donations and lease equipment to tourist lines. It’s a way to get elder equipment out of Beech while still keeping it available for surges. Thoughts?
Interesting idea but what semi retired equipment are you referring to as “A-2s”? If you mean Amfleet 2s, they are not even close to being retired yet.
It's a nice idea, but if Amtrak is looking to "retire" this equipment - and a number of reasons for that - I am not sure they would be that willing to put it back on "their trains" for any type of service. Private cars are one thing, but recently de-commissioned cars that Amtrak is selling or getting rid of, too close for comfort I feel.......It's a big risk Amtrak would be willing to "certify the cars" especially since I am sure they have a whole HISTORY of the car's maintenance........
 #1489782  by John_Perkowski

A cross reference, because Ocean View’s days, IMO, are now numbered.

Among other equipment, Amtrak is selling off the ex-Santa Fe Hi-Level Lounges, aka the Pacific Parlour Cars.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=168527" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1489886  by Leo_Ames

Caught her early this evening, about 4 hours late.

Anyone know why the northbound Adirondack was running so late? I rather figured the timekeeping on this route would be better than I sometimes read about with some of the long distance routes, so I'm assuming today was a fluke rather than routine delays?
 #1489926  by Railjunkie

Leo_Ames wrote:Caught her early this evening, about 4 hours late.

Anyone know why the northbound Adirondack was running so late? I rather figured the timekeeping on this route would be better than I sometimes read about with some of the long distance routes, so I'm assuming today was a fluke rather than routine delays?

Reported last night car was running rough with possible flat spots. Lost time waiting for car knockers to inspect. Not even sure if it will make its return trip today from Montreal.
 #1490035  by XC Tower

Just a side note of personal experience regarding the possibly final run of the Ocean View on November 1st’s #69: I was aboard it, intending to make the ride to Montreal, then come back on #68 the next day...Some time after leaving Fort Edward, the train really slowed down, feeling like a 5mph slow order....This last for seemingly like an hour...After a while, the conductor came through, telling us that due to a sudden stop or jolt caused by PTC to the locomotive, the Ocean View has developed flatwheels...It would probably be uncoupled at a small yard outside Whitehall....Amtrak Mechanical at Albany had been notified and was waiting there....Buses were being called for the rest of the ride to Montreal...All those wanting to return on #68 could....Soon enough it stopped right next to us with the conductor, a really excellent young man, came into the car, announcing that all those who wanted to board #68 would detain at that end...I did....Aboard #68, something struck me as odd when #69 roared off....Sitting in the cafe lounge, one of the guide volunteers told me that it was continuing on to Montreal!!!! He had heard an announcement by the conductor, which I didn’t....What a way to end a planned final two trip aboard the Ocean View.....I was crushed.....Sometimes a one word says much in the way of a passed on old buddy of mine who worked for the PRR, Penn Central, and into Conrail before retiring, used to say “ That’s life. What are you going to do?”
I am sure hoping, against hope it seems, that the Ocean View will be making runs once more along Lake Champlain on the head end of the Adirondack....

XC
 #1490038  by XC Tower

One more additional comment please...Is it a plausible thought that perhaps the state of New York would consider purchasing the Ocean View for regular runs on the Adirondack between Albany and Montreal? ... Awesome scenery along Lake Champlain plus a tourist draw to upstate New York, a beautiful region that sure could use the revenue which visitors bring....
Perhaps a wishful thought, but it feels good posting it...

XC
 #1490166  by NS VIA FAN

XC Tower wrote:One more additional comment please...Is it a plausible thought that perhaps the state of New York would consider purchasing the Ocean View for regular runs on the Adirondack between Albany and Montreal? ... Awesome scenery along Lake Champlain plus a tourist draw to upstate New York, a beautiful region that sure could use the revenue which visitors bring....
Perhaps a wishful thought, but it feels good posting it...XC
That would probably be a lot of money to spend on what is largely a piece of nostalgic railroad equipment for Railfans.

I know it anecdotal…..but I’ve been on Ocean View several times when it’s been on the Adirondack and Downeaster and you’ll see the fans staked out in the prime seats with all their gadgets for the whole journey……even working in shifts with their buddy so they don’t lose those seats. Sure others are up there but most just wander up for a few minutes then return to their coach seats. A Dome Car just doesn’t have the same allure to others as it does railfans
 #1490186  by andegold

It's also possible that some of the regular passengers are turned off/away by the railfans. If the equipment were used more regularly the fan crowd might down and be replaced by other patrons.
 #1490228  by XC Tower

I have made the same journey round trip between Albany and Montreal twice before. On them, as this one in the Ocean View did not I notice or view railfans camped out in any seats at all. On this one, some folks from England were riding up front. The car was filled with more of an international mix of passengers. Most remained as the car stayed full with some rotation of coming and going. In these travels of mine aboard, all of the fellow passengers were delighted by the car’s unique views given. The dome adds so much to the whole travel experience. I consider them as something bringing even more to the “step out of the ordinary” feeling of train travel. If marketed more, I believe the Adirondack with a dome car could bring more visitors to upstate New York, where tourist revenue is certainly needed. Extra amenities do matter to people.
The idea of possibly using Viewdiners under contract for use intrigues me, but how would they be? Changing their seat configurations to become sight-seeing cars?

XC