• Because I said so

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by charlesriverbranch

My girlfriend and I took a trip from Boston to Pittsburgh last week. This involved changing trains in Philadelphia, and after we got to Pittsburgh it occurred to us that we might save some time going back by changing in New York to a different Boston train.

So, my girlfriend called 1-88-USA-RAIL and asked to speak to an agent. The agent told her "changing trains in New York is not allowed." When she asked the agent why, I distinctly heard the agent tell her "because it's not allowed".

Okay, fine. Be that way.
  by STrRedWolf

I think this is an older rule due to how crowded the older Penn Station Madison was. It was crowded with a capital "OW". There was a good chance you couldn't of made the connection.

Now Penn Station Monyhan? It's about as roomy as Philadelphia 30th Street Station.

That said, you probably also had a crew change on a through-train to Boston, and thus there would be more time to board you. The Pennsylvanian (the train you'll be back on) goes through Norfolk Southern territory, and I've had about 1-2 hours in station to make the connection both ways (coming from/going to Baltimore). NS has had trouble in the past on that line.
  by JimBoylan

You were probably trying to arrange too close of a guaranteed connection.
Amtrak does not normally guarantee connections of less than 60 minutes (90 minutes between arriving long-distance trains and local trains in the Northeast Corridor).
The Pennsylvanian is scheduled to arrive in New York at 4:50 p.m. You were probably trying to make an 8 minute connection to Acela 2172 which originates in New York at 4:58 p.m. The 2 other earlier trains to Boston also stop in Philadelphia, but you didn't want to change there.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Overseas, eight minute connections are quite commonplace. Often the connecting trains will share the same platform so its just an alight, walk across, and board.

But my experience in recent trips is that the Deutsche Bahn has become far less reliable, and connections are generally not guaranteed. So, If the connection Mr. Charles River wished to make was outside of Amtrak's minimum, then I can understand the Agent's position, but it certainly appears she could have been more tactful in her handling.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Mon May 27, 2024 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by eolesen

That's some world-class customer service there....
  by Tadman

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 1:13 pm Overseas, eight minute connections are quite commonplace. Often the connecting trains will share the same platform so its just an alight, walk across, and board.

But my experience in recent trips is that the Deutsche Bahn has become far less reliable,
I've made plenty of 9 minute connections in Germany. If you miss, and I don't think I have, something else comes along in half hour anyway.
  by hrsn

"The computer says no...." sez Matt Lucas...