• Amtrak combining the Silver Star and Capitol Limited (a new Floridian?)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Gilbert B Norman

electricron wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:28 am For Viewliner sleepers to be switched on to the Capitol Limited, these cars would have to placed in the consist ahead of the Transistion sleeper if their customers plan to use the rest of the Capital Limited train.
JimBoylan wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:26 pm Family rooms disappear from the Capital Ltd. leaving Chicago after Nov. 9, 2024. The Silver Star is Sold Out between New York & Washington starting Nov. 11, 2024.
Ron, Mr. Boylan's immediate report (quoted here in its entirety for convenience as it appears on the preceding page) would suggest that the nameless at present Chicago-Miami train will be entirely single level.

However I do recall for a time around '96, the Auto Train had Superliner Sleepers and A-II Coaches with a mid-train T-Dorm. So it's been done, but it appears that will not be the case come seven months.
  by west point

If this happens then Amtrak needs to beef up CHI single level car maintenance get the car washer fixed. and operating for all trains.
  by JimBoylan

Amtrak's computer doesn't offer Family Rooms on the Eastbound Capital Limited from Chicago, Illinois on Apr. 28, 2025.
  by electricron

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:48 pm Ron, Mr. Boylan's immediate report (quoted here in its entirety for convenience as it appears on the preceding page)
"Rumours", and "I heard from someone in the know", are not exactly official press releases.
I wrote in my earlier reply, IF they plan to continue to use the existing Capitol Limited, what they would have to do.

My IF is just as valid as their RUMOURS!
Until there is an official press release, neither is wrong.
  by west point

Family rooms are all shown sold out from Nov 10th both ways. However, that does not take into account the 2 train sets of Superliners that would be stranded in WASH. That is train 30 / 09 arriving 10th and train set 30/08
  by electricron

west point wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 5:56 pm Family rooms are all shown sold out from Nov 10th both ways. However, that does not take into account the 2 train sets of Superliners that would be stranded in WASH. That is train 30 / 09 arriving 10th and train set 30/08
Family bedrooms being sold out twice in just a few months may not mean they are not available, it may be some family has actually booked them. Can't we wait on an official press release before speculating???
  by Gilbert B Norman

Ron does have a point that Family Rooms could have been sold on the Capitol Limited on dates that anyone checked.

I first learned of this development privately from a reliable source (advocate, NARP member, frequent Corridor and LD rider) well before the topic was opened here. It really makes sense operationally, reducing required equipment sets from seven to four.

But with the never-ending "Who's On First" culture reported to prevail at One Mass, what is decided today can be rescinded tomorrow. There is still six months to go until the proposed change is scheduled, so who knows if it will actually occur.
  by Jeff Smith

Note: I retitled the thread adding "Floridian", because, you know, internet searches lol.

I just searched December 2 from Chicago to Miami (arrives the 4th, 48 hours later), and the CHI-WAS portion still had you choose your level. Also, private rooms were available. Coach: $237, Private Room, $1300-something.
  by Gilbert B Norman

I just confirmed Sgt. Smith's search; it sure looks like "business as usual", so I guess Amtrak, at this moment and subject to "instant and immediate change :P ", has moved away from the proposal.

Tune in later for updates.

addendum: "Not So Fast" checking Dec 3, NYP-MIA shows #91 "Sold Out"; also NYP-TPA. But WAS-TPA shows #91 available in both Coach and Private Room.
  by west point

Completely agree. We are seeing confusion within the ranks. WANA bet that various factions within Amtrak are trying to protect their turf? This is just another example of the rudderless planning and operation with the present available seats being very short. Amtrak does not need is another incident(s) that will cut available seat inventory there by changing plans again. Unless Amtrak finally decides to get some spare surge fleet in place this is going to continue.
  by lordsigma12345

November 11 is the first day it shows up blocked out eastbound out of Chicago. I don't think it's a matter of descension in the ranks. I think they simply haven't zeroed in on a start date yet. They need to have the required number of single level cars to make up an extra set for this. So it's no surprise that the timing is in flux.