Railroad Forums 

• How can Amtrak obtain more sleeping cars?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

Re:

#1622834  by John_Perkowski

David Benton wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:31 am One observation from persuing the timetables . Most long distance train equipment overnites at the end of the run . this means a sleeper is losing a revenue nite every turn .
my solution would be , either to adjust timetables so that trains spend the day aty the end of each run been serviced , ( arrive in the morning , depart at nite ) so maximising sleeper revenue . but this would inconvience coach passengers , who would probably prefer to travel during daylight hours .
The second , and i think best option , is to cut the sleepers out a big station near the end of the run in the morning , ( say Washington on the crescent and florida trains ) , and add them to the opposing train that evening . Through passengers would transfer to coach for the remainder of thier journey .
This has often been said to be unappealing to say new York first class passengers . but if its a choice between a sleeper at nite , coach for the day segment , versus no sleeper at all , then they will take it . And with the shortage of sleepers , then if they dont , theres plenty more that will .
NO F****NG WAY IN HELL WOULD I ACCEPT THAT!

The bare minimum would be to cut in a 1+1 parlor car.
 #1622840  by STrRedWolf

John_Perkowski wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:08 pm
David Benton wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:31 am One observation from persuing the timetables . Most long distance train equipment overnites at the end of the run . this means a sleeper is losing a revenue nite every turn .
my solution would be , either to adjust timetables so that trains spend the day aty the end of each run been serviced , ( arrive in the morning , depart at nite ) so maximising sleeper revenue . but this would inconvience coach passengers , who would probably prefer to travel during daylight hours .
The second , and i think best option , is to cut the sleepers out a big station near the end of the run in the morning , ( say Washington on the crescent and florida trains ) , and add them to the opposing train that evening . Through passengers would transfer to coach for the remainder of thier journey .
This has often been said to be unappealing to say new York first class passengers . but if its a choice between a sleeper at nite , coach for the day segment , versus no sleeper at all , then they will take it . And with the shortage of sleepers , then if they dont , theres plenty more that will .

Plus, it wouldn't work on the NEC with current plans. Remember, the entire line's going Airo with exception of LD service.

Check the schedule again, and do not run lean. If you do not accommodate for a broken down train, you're going to have service issues. Having a sleeper bearing train sit overnight is a good thing!

The big take-away here is if you want more sleeper cars, BUILD THEM!
 #1622905  by David Benton

John_Perkowski wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:08 pm

Has that anger been simmering for 18 years,?. Mind you, probably nothing to the 40 or 50 years since parlor cars were in use.
 #1622908  by John_Perkowski

No, I’ve traveled sleeper well into the first decade. The quality of food on my last trip coupled with the condition of my accommodation did this.
 #1622971  by urr304

Gee, Mr. Perkowski, tell us how you really feel.

I have not had the opportunity or need to take a trip on Amtrak, or air, or anything but my car since 2004. Last time in Amtrak was in 1990's and only needed to go coach because of distance and station times. I have a friend who takes pleasure trips several times a year, I am just astounded by the ticket cost. Can not imagine how they even get sell outs at those prices and level of service.

Mr. Norman, I think you are correct about my acquaintance.
 #1622977  by STrRedWolf

Sadly, I think the only way I'll experience the sleepers is if I'm heading to/from Chicago. Pittsburgh is 8 hours no matter what, and the timing sucks on the Capital Limited. The Night Owl needs a dedicated pair of consists and a dedicated pairing, but Amtrak's not going to do that with the new Airo sets. Maybe if they double the frequency on the LD's, it would be more viable, but still...