Railroad Forums 

• P42 - Is There Life After Amtrak?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1568530  by shadyjay

I recall back to the mid 90s when the replacement for the F40PH fleet was the Genesis, P40 then P42... it was unthinkable to see the F40 fleet of 215 units, the mainstay of Amtrak's network, being put out to pasture. As we found out, there was some life after Amtrak for them.... conversion to Cabbages, conversion by CDAC to freight locomotives, some tourist operations, Class I business trains, etc.

We are still a few years away from the retirement of the P42 class, which numbered (at its peak) 207 units (plus the 15 or so P40s still cranking). It would look mighty strange to see a Genesis pulling a tourist train somewhere. Could they even be converted for freight use? Again, would seem strange, though the F40s looked more "freight-oriented" than the Genesis design. ConnDOT has a good sized fleet but are there other commuter agencies looking to grab some? Granted, they all have pretty high mileage, so that could be a turnoff.

Any thoughts? Or, whither the P42?
 #1568537  by STrRedWolf

In a word, yes (assuming no financial hang-ups like Amtrak's HHP-8)

Yes, they'll get overhauled, probably ether by Amtrak or Wabtec (GE Transport's parent, since these are GE Genesis engines). If Amtrak, they'll still be P40/P42's and probably get a few sold off to Via Rail and Metro-North Railroad. If Wabtec, they'll probably be upgraded to GE Evolution Series engines. Some of the shortlines are still running E40's, and having a more fuel-efficent engine would be worth it.

And yes, they'll probably get a few converted to Cab-Baggage cars and the engines parted out, most likely some of the shop queens.

Wither the P42's? Nah.
 #1568540  by R36 Combine Coach

STrRedWolf wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:39 pm Yes, they'll get overhauled, probably ether by Amtrak or Wabtec (GE Transport's parent).

And yes, they'll probably get a few converted to Cab-Baggage cars.
The latter seems unlikely given the Genesis is a monocoque design, unlike the F40 a cowl on frame.
Modifying the body shell would compromise load strength, not unlike some postwar Budd coaches converted to baggage service. Hence why Amfleets weren't built in a combine or baggage variant (the fuselage shell would been compromised by a large loading door).
 #1568573  by eolesen

Correct. You can't make a cabbage out of any of the recent GE passenger locomotives.

I'd be surprised to see any used in freight service given the relatively poor sightlines and lack of a platform for doing switching moves.
 #1568597  by John_Perkowski

IF they are given a remanufacturing overhaul, THEN maybe the commuter roads will pick them up cheap

ELSE, they’ll be parted out.
 #1568610  by eolesen

John_Perkowski wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:34 am IF they are given a remanufacturing overhaul, THEN maybe the commuter roads will pick them up cheap
That's a pretty big If, Colonel... Would you really want to invest in P42's that are probably older than your existing fleet?

Maybe Metra and MBTA could use them to retire the F40's, or NJT to retire the GP40's.

After that, just about every other transit agency is using MP36's or later variants which are newer than the oldest P42.

Personally, I see commuter motive power expansion being on hold for a good part of the next decade... Schedules haven't fully recovered, and if my prediction of a >20% drop in commuter traffic post-vaccine comes to fruition, the existing fleets won't be running nearly as hard as they did in 2019.
 #1568613  by MattW

Are the P42s even good for commuter service? They're a very slow-loading locomotive from what I understand which doesn't suit short stop distances very well. Do the P32s that MNRR uses load faster?
 #1568619  by chrisf

eolesen wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:33 pm
John_Perkowski wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:34 am IF they are given a remanufacturing overhaul, THEN maybe the commuter roads will pick them up cheap
That's a pretty big If, Colonel... Would you really want to invest in P42's that are probably older than your existing fleet?

Maybe Metra and MBTA could use them to retire the F40's, or NJT to retire the GP40's.

After that, just about every other transit agency is using MP36's or later variants which are newer than the oldest P42.

Personally, I see commuter motive power expansion being on hold for a good part of the next decade... Schedules haven't fully recovered, and if my prediction of a >20% drop in commuter traffic post-vaccine comes to fruition, the existing fleets won't be running nearly as hard as they did in 2019.
MBTA's in the midst of rebuilding all their F40s, so they're not going to have any need for fleet replacement or expansion in the form of P40/P42s. I would expect most of the P42s will be retired and scrapped; most commuter lines won't want to take these on, and will not likely have any increased demand for several years due to the pandemic.
 #1568628  by shadyjay

I can't see Metro North picking up any. Theirs is a more specialized need, what with the third rail capacity needed. There are a few shuttles which are handled largely by the Brookvilles. Sometimes the Waterbury shuttles borrow a SLE trainset midday, which is either a GP40-et al or a ConnDOT P40. ConnDOT's fleet of P40s is up to 10 and coupled with the GP40s, that gives 16 locos total, more than enough for current ops and eventually, some SLE will be electric anyway.

NJ Transit probably won't have any interest in them, either. Otherwise, they probably would've held onto the 4 they had for ACES, but they sold them to ConnDOT.

Metra just got the former Amtrak F59s from the west coast. So they're probably set for awhile.
 #1568752  by TurningOfTheWheel

eolesen wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:33 pm

Metra is an unlikely destination. They've recently rebuilt all their F40s, they have the SD70MAC conversions coming in the next couple of years with options for more, and they're looking to rebuild the F59 fleet they got from Amtrak/GO.
 #1568756  by eolesen

Yep, which is why I said a very big if.

There's no reasonable market for them outside being mobile emergency electrical generators....

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1568776  by STrRedWolf

TurningOfTheWheel wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:47 pm Metra is an unlikely destination. They've recently rebuilt all their F40s, they have the SD70MAC conversions coming in the next couple of years with options for more, and they're looking to rebuild the F59 fleet they got from Amtrak/GO.
What's the fuel consumption on the F40's vs the P42's/P40's? Wikipedia claims it s lower on the P-series.