• Illinois Amtrak Service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

• 1478 posts
  by Gilbert B Norman

Messrs. Pennsy and Stephens, as I noted previously in this discussion. the C&A was double tracked until about '69, so the ROW for such is there.

I've also noted that I'm ashamed how my railroad (Long UNP) took ARRA09 funding to rebuild an additionsl route to Chicago. I'm sure if the double track were restored, freight and passenger could peacefully coexist.
  by eolesen

You really expect UP to simply give up the more direct line to STL, plus any local traffic they might have in Springfield, Normal, Pontiac, etc? What's the incentive for them?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

by Gilbert B Norman

No I don't Mr. Olesen; after all they own it. Further, and any of the others - C&EI (UP), WAB(NS), or IC(CN) routes are circuitous compared to the C&A (GM&O, ICG, CM&W, SP, UP).

But I hold it was wrong was to take Federal Funds, intended for improvement of passenger train service, to rebuild this line - and throwing "a lot of show" but little substance.

disclaimer (again): author long UNP
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by eolesen

To be fair, it was the State took the money and asked UP to do the upgrades, and just another example of their willingness to engage in boondoggles of grandeur that are little more than castles made of canvas and wood...

It's also safe to say UP really couldn't say no without appearing to be a bad host, and risk pissing off the government who happens to hold the Great Sword of Regulatory Power over them...
  by Backshophoss

This was the route that was first done with concrete ties that were defective from the plant,UP and the manufacturer paid to replace all the defective ties.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Observed:

380(24)

SC-44, A-I Cafe. A-I Coach, 3 Horizon Coaches.

Apparently the consist has grown by one car - and for half as many trains.

No wonder the TV News crews have seen no need to visit CUS this year.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Well, Amtrak got 5 seconds of "screen" on 6PM Local NBC News this evening. "File Footage" or live, I know not.

But long enough for the reporter to state "Amtrak is reporting a sharp decline in its passengers this year".
  by Pensyfan19

I think this might be an eventual expansion to the proposed Black Hawk service. A group is planning a study for passenger service between Rockford, IL to Dubuque, IA. I´m not sure if this group is proposing service via Amtrak, but it will be interesting to see nonetheless. I would think they would gain much support as their proposed route is part of the original Black Hawk service.

https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2 ... il-service
A Dubuque, Iowa, group is planning to contract for a study to restore rail passenger service between Dubuque and Rockford, Ill., once a proposed Chicago-Rockford service is revived. The Dubuque Telegraph Herald reports the committee of government and economic officials from Dubuque and three Illinois counties has approved a request for proposals for a consultant to conduct the study. The approximate 14-month study would consider such aspects of the potential service as routing, station locations, and infrastructure needs, as well as costs and revenue potential. Proposals are due in December with the contract likely to be awarded in mid-January. The Chicago-Dubuque route was last served by Amtrak’s Black Hawk, which ceased operation in 1981. The long-discussed revival of Chicago-Rockford service received a boost when the Illinois Department of Transportation hired a manager for the project earlier this year [see “Digest: Effort to restart Chicago-Rockford passenger service takes step forward,” Trains News Wire, Sept. 25, 2020] after receiving $275 million in funding in 2020 Illinois budget [see “Illinois passes budget with funds for transit, commuter, intercity rail,” News Wire, June 3, 2019].