• Vision For Long Distance Trains

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by electricron

Why should southerners listen to displaced Yankees when it comes to subsidizing trains with high taxes. A gallon of gasoline today was $1.75 in Texas. It should be almost as low in Georgia, if not lower. Why are all the Yankees moving south, could the ultimate reason be the high taxes up north?
  by Gilbert B Norman

David Benton wrote: I'm thinking of the likes of Georgia, a lot of people moving in from other states , and crying out for better rail service.
Mr. Benton, I wish the advocacy community could begin to accept that the railroad rights of way away from specific regions, are owned by investors who seek a maximum return from their investment. They are not any kind of public highway such as they are in many foreign jurisdictions - and as the advocacy community would like to see here.

As more US roads adopt the principles of Precision Railroading, which certainly has a favorable impact on the bottom line, the more intrusive any train not moving with the flow of traffic will become. The most indicative example of that is The Canadian, which is at the mercy of the traffic flows on the road where Precision Railroading was born.

I think The Canadian "is done for" and will not return from its "COVID hiatus". This is why I hold the Amtrak tri-weekly frequencies are the first step in a long "slog" to be rid of the Amtrak LD's.

disclaimer: author long UNP; an S&P "outperform" YTD 20.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
  by eolesen

mtuandrew wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:04 pm And a board is fine, but a President of the United States can direct its actions if he (and likely she, within the decade) so chooses. I maintain that we will see restoration of the network pre-October.
That seems like interference to me... but regardless, the Executive branch can't authorize new money.
  by mtuandrew

eolesen wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:02 amThat seems like interference to me... but regardless, the Executive branch can't authorize new money.
How’s it interference? Chain of command goes President -> SecTrans -> Amtrak board and president. Obviously Congress is the only body that can authorize the budget, but the executive branch often has some leeway with how that money is spent.

I suppose I could be wrong and a potential President Biden could solely focus on corridors, or a re-elected(?) President Trump could do something as drastic as dissolving the corporation, or both could simply ignore Amtrak until COVID is a lower-priority issue.