Railroad Forums 

• Acela II (Alstom Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1553605  by Matt Johnson

CarterB wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:35 pm Can the Avelia really go any faster BOS - NYP- WAS than the Acela?? Without major track improvements? In today's conditions, what will trip times be vs Acela?
It will be interesting to see, but beyond the top speed sections, where it should be able to do 160 mph where the first gen tops out at 150, I'm not sure. (The 135 mph stretch through Princeton Junction should go up to 160 mph with constant tension catenary now in place.)

Being a lighter trainset with a better tilt system and better tracking characteristics, I think it's a decent bet that curve speeds will end up being a little higher, eventually if not immediately. For example, take the Metuchen curve in New Jersey. Speed limit is 80 mph for conventional equipment, 95 mph for Acela with tilt active. When the Swedish X2000 ran in Metroliner service, it was allowed 105 mph on that curve. I would think the Avelia will be able to match X2000 performance in that regard.
 #1553778  by shadyjay

MattW wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:47 am Gaaahhhh!!!! Please, someone give it a K5LA before it gets picked on by the other trains in the yard!
Alright, I'm going to say it.... does it really matter what kind of horn its got? It doesn't have to appease the railfan community... it has to alert those on the tracks (whether they be roadway workers or trespassers, and at grade crossings. As long as its the proper sound level and gets everyone's attention, then that should be the end of it.
 #1553783  by Pensyfan19

bostontrainguy wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:34 pm Hell it even has a siren! Check out at the 2:00 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw-m9g6 ... RailVideos
I believe I have found the inspiration for this horn/siren...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYM-o_oECrU

(and it features wig wags too!)