Railroad Forums 

• The big ax just fell. Long distance to 3x/week.

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1553593  by lordsigma12345

We'll see what happens - session starts at 3PM. It should be noted that the final appropriations for FY21 after the election needs to include over 1 billion of additional appropriations over FY20 to do what Amtrak is CURRENTLY planning for. Level funding for 21 would result in massive cuts - they have indicated that all long distance trains would be at risk of outright suspension except for the Auto Train, as well as possible state supported route suspensions and frequency cuts on remaining corridors, and substantial frequency cuts on the NEC. So for those that are not Amtrak fans, hope for level FY21 funding I guess.
 #1553618  by Pensyfan19

Any word on how this bill's doing? It's a bit after 3PM... :wink:

I'm assuming that if this bill was passed by the senate, it will go to Trump for final approval or veto sometime soon. With this in mind, will the decision of this bill (and fate of Amtrak's LDs) be made [or has already been made] within the next day before Amtrak starts making cuts on the first?
(I'm also planning on covering this story on my monthly railway news episode, the Pensyfan Periodical, set to be uploaded on the 1st or 2nd, and I would like to know if the issue of this bill be held off to the next monthly episode.)
 #1553623  by Pensyfan19

JimBoylan wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:26 pm If the Senate adds any amendments, the bill has to go back to the House, first.
So if this happens, would Amtrak still reduce their LDs to tri-weekly before the bill passes, or does Amtrak have to maintain service until a decision is made?
 #1553643  by eolesen

Amtrak has no obligation to maintain service levels over what's still speculative legislation.

Assuming the Senate were to pass this tomorrow, best case is that they'd be able to hand it over to the House on Thursday (not realistic), and then send it to the WH. Wouldn't be signed before Friday.

Problem is... HR 8337 as passed by the house still has a bunch of pork the GOP may take issue with, particularly around $500M to bail out blue states and some other items not directly related to COVID relief.

That's likely to result in a bunch of debate prior to a vote, and I doubt that there's going to be a huge appetite to add money for Amtrak.
 #1553684  by Gilbert B Norman

Funny how I have not seen in this discussion how the LD frequency cuts are to be phased in as shown in this Bulletin:

https://www.amtrak.com/alert/tri-weekly ... ld_hpcard6
From the discussion, it would appear that at 1201A 01OCT, all the proposed cuts were to be implemented.

So for those holding out hope, "there's still time, Brother".
 #1553685  by Gilbert B Norman

Funny how I have not seen in this discussion how the LD frequency cuts are to be phased in as shown in this Bulletin:

https://www.amtrak.com/alert/tri-weekly ... ld_hpcard6
Effective Week of October 05, 2020

California Zephyr
Train #5 (Westbound) departs Chicago: Monday/Wednesday/Saturday
Train #6 (Eastbound) departs Emeryville, CA: Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday
Capitol Limited
Train #29 (Westbound) departs Washington, DC: Wednesday/Friday/Sunday
Train #30 (Eastbound) departs Chicago: Monday/Thursday/Saturday

City of New Orleans
Train #58 (Northbound) departs New Orleans: Wednesday/Friday/Sunday
Train #59 (Southbound) departs Chicago: Monday/Thursday/Saturday

Crescent
Train #19 (Southbound) departs New York: Tuesday/Friday/Sunday
Train #20 (Northbound) departs New Orleans: Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday

Effective Week of October 12, 2020

Coast Starlight
Train #11 (Southbound) departs Seattle: Monday/Wednesday/Saturday
Train #14 (Northbound) departs Los Angeles: Monday/Wednesday/Friday

Lake Shore Limited
Train #48 (Eastbound) departs Chicago Monday/Thursday/Saturday
Train #49 (Westbound) departs New York: Wednesday/Friday/Sunday
Train #448 (Eastbound) departs Chicago: Monday/Thursday/Saturday
Train #449 (Westbound) departs Boston: Wednesday/Friday/Sunday

Southwest Chief
Train #3 (Westbound) departs Chicago: Monday/Thursday/Saturday
Train #4 (Eastbound) departs Los Angeles: Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday

Texas Eagle
Train #21 (Southbound) departs Chicago: Tuesday/Friday/Sunday
Train #22 (Northbound) departs San Antonio: Tuesday/Friday/Sunday

Effective Week of October 19, 2020

Empire Builder
Train #7 (Westbound) departs Chicago Monday/Thursday/Saturday
Train #8 (Eastbound): departs Seattle: Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday
Train #27 (Westbound) departs Chicago: Monday/Thursday/Saturday
Train #28 (Eastbound) departs Portland, OR: Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday

Palmetto
Train #89 (Southbound) departs New York: Monday/Thursday/Saturday
Train #90 (Northbound) departs Savanah: Wednesday/Friday/Sunday.
From the discussion, it would appear that at 1201A 01OCT, all the proposed cuts were to be implemented.

So for those holding out hope, "there's still time, Brother".

So all told from my MP 18.74 vantage point, the first train to be missed will be the WB Zephyr at about 220P Tuesday Oct 6.
 #1553706  by Pensyfan19

Railjunkie wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:47 pm If what Im hearing is true Amtrak got there $$$ there will be no cuts to service and no employee furloughs.
Where/When did you hear this?! Is this an official decision? Is daily Amtrak LD service saved? I'm writing about this for my monthly news series and I was just about to start recording until I saw this post right on time.
 #1553709  by Pensyfan19

Did this bill pass? Did Amtrak receive enough funding so that they could maintain daily LD service and prevent more furloughs???
 #1553725  by eolesen

Doesn't look like it was even discussed. For those interested, the daily blow-by-blow is detailed at https://www.dailypress.senate.gov/

Today, the only thing Daines spoke about was "rural access to water"

Amtrak simply isn't a priority.