Railroad Forums 

• Joe Biden political ad features Amtrak

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1553633  by justalurker66

A post a few minutes ago on train orders shows pictures of a train being made up in Chicago
"2 P42s, 9800 conference car, 2 coaches, dinette, Viewliner Diner, coach and American View. Looks like it will be leaving Chicago very soon heading east to Cleveland."

Something to watch for on the cameras at Chesterton and Elkhart.
 #1553646  by STrRedWolf

WPXI posted the times.

The “Build Back Better Express” train tour will include the following stops:

Cleveland, Ohio, at about 9:45 a.m.
Alliance, Ohio, at about 11:45 a.m.
Pittsburgh at about 2:20 p.m.
Greensburg at about 3:45 p.m.
New Alexandria at about 4:30 p.m.
Latrobe at about 5:20 p.m.
Johnstown at about 7:30 p.m.
 #1553686  by mtuandrew

In case anyone is wondering, the Build Back Better Express costs at the very, very least $30,000. Probably at least twice as much, and I’d be totally unsurprised to find that it cost 5-10x that sum. Fundraising’s been excellent for the campaign so even $300,000 would be easily in its budget. https://www.amtrak.com/charter-your-private-train
Last edited by mtuandrew on Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed political opinion
 #1553689  by rohr turbo

mtuandrew wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:48 pm ...costs at the very, very least $30,000. Probably at least twice as much...
OTOH, Amtrak would be wise to to do this gratis, or maybe at just the variable cost of operating the special.

This charter will get lots of free airtime and Amtrak has a vested interest in the outcome of the election. IMO.
 #1553692  by farecard

Either number is pocket change. News reports are that the Democratic donations have flooded in over the last few weeks.

Amtrak would never do anything so political gratis; whichever way the election goes, the GOP Senate would have it on the Floor the next day. Far better that it is cash & carry.
 #1553697  by mtuandrew

farecard wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:16 pm Either number is pocket change. News reports are that the Democratic donations have flooded in over the last few weeks.

Amtrak would never do anything so political gratis; whichever way the election goes, the GOP Senate would have it on the Floor the next day. Far better that it is cash & carry.
I’m concerned that heads will roll or that NRPC itself will face retaliation, actually. Amtrak isn’t endorsing Joe, but there’s no government agency or initiative as closely tied to a politician as Amtrak to Joe, save perhaps ObamaCare. Taking this charter could make a lot of powerful people very upset.

And yes, the Democrats as a whole could charter 10,000 “base price” trains and still have a quarter-billion dollars in the bank. Quarterly fundraising numbers will be filed with the SEC today and be public over the next few days, I expect that number will go further in Joe’s favor.

(I’m probably pushing the envelope re: politics with this post - the RR.net mods of every political affiliation are watching - so tread lightly.)
Last edited by mtuandrew on Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: removed political opinion
 #1553780  by mtuandrew

Moderator Note: keeping this closed a while. Apologies to those whose posts we deleted. I know you were only poking at the envelope, this isn’t a presidential debate and we don’t have time for ad hominem attacks. JCBurns, I edited your post a little for the same reason.

PM me or another Amtrak forum mod if you have something directly related to the recent train tour - for video and photos, please post them in the Amtrak Videos and Photos thread.

LordSigma12345, you’re good.

Thanks, all.