• Wisconsin Talgos Disposition - MI and now Pacific Surfliner

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

• 559 posts
  by RRspatch

bostontrainguy wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:33 pm Just curious looking at the operator in that narrow cab . . . why was Talgo required to redesign their sleek cab car into the now infamous "Ugly Duckling"? Supposedly Amtrak required room for two seats side-by-side. Why not here?
This was an FRA requirement for two reasons -

1) The old "High Velocity Bank Vault on Steel Wheels" FRA crash standards (since amended).
2) An FRA requirement that an engineer trainee have a place to sit next to the engineer. Most (true) high speed trains have a single person cockpit with maybe a seat behind the engineer/train driver for the trainee. Amtrak, as you probably know, operates with one person in the cab on runs scheduled under 6 hours.

Therefor crash standards and the need for a second seat are the reason for the ugly duckling. Here's what the Talgo cab car could have looked like -

As you can see it's a single person cab.
  by MattW

RRspatch wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:31 am
bostontrainguy wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:33 pm Just curious looking at the operator in that narrow cab . . . why was Talgo required to redesign their sleek cab car into the now infamous "Ugly Duckling"? Supposedly Amtrak required room for two seats side-by-side. Why not here?
This was an FRA requirement for two reasons -

1) The old "High Velocity Bank Vault on Steel Wheels" FRA crash standards (since amended).
2) An FRA requirement that an engineer trainee have a place to sit next to the engineer. Most (true) high speed trains have a single person cockpit with maybe a seat behind the engineer/train driver for the trainee. Amtrak, as you probably know, operates with one person in the cab on runs scheduled under 6 hours.

Therefor crash standards and the need for a second seat are the reason for the ugly duckling. Here's what the Talgo cab car could have looked like -

http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/es/ele ... 12_-2-.jpg

As you can see it's a single person cab.
I know I'm getting a little off topic, if the answer is more complex I don't mind splitting it off. But as to #2, how does that work for EMUs and cab cars? Many of them now just have "phone booth" cabs with no room for a second person.
  by mtuandrew

MattW wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:15 amI know I'm getting a little off topic, if the answer is more complex I don't mind splitting it off. But as to #2, how does that work for EMUs and cab cars? Many of them now just have "phone booth" cabs with no room for a second person.
Moderator Note: moved your post so you don’t have to. Carry on.