• The big ax just fell. Long distance to 3x/week.

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

• 263 posts
  by Jeff Smith

gokeefe wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:56 am
Gilbert B Norman wrote:WELL Volks, that's what they say. The windows are open and taking bets.
Lake Shore Limited will be in the first round. First Western transcontinental will be the Empire Builder. Even money that the Sunset Limited remains tri-weekly "indefinitely".

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I'd put better than even odds on the Sunset. Like, a certainty.
  by Jeff Smith

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:44 pm Mr. O'Keefe, what will be interesting is that if the Lake Shore is to be tri-weeklied, will there be an attempt to have it run on the days away from the Cardinal on its existing 3x schedule, so that they can still say "single seat/room 6x"?

Further, will the Capitol Ltd be 3x'd on days away from Lake Shore so that, again, they can claim 6x to places along the NS/NYC? i.e. Cleveland, Toledo, Bryan OH.

Again I reiterate; Murray Hamilton saying to Dustin Hoffman: instead of "plastics", "OPTICS".
You know, that's an interesting point you make. There are three East Coast trains that service Chicago. Why not one a day, 3x Lake Shore, 2x Capital Limited, 2x Cardinal? For NYC and the Capital, they can connect via the NEC. The fact is, they're all dogs in terms of performance.
  by R36 Combine Coach

CLE would still lose daily service, PGH would be a 3x/week (minus the Pennsylvanian) and BOS would have only 3x LD service, something that hasn't happened in decades. The rest of the NEC cities could still connect.
  by dgvrengineer

This plan will work as designed, to effectively kill all LD service. Few connections and less than daily service will produce Sunset Ltd like results and ridership will never recover to the 90% level Amtrak says it needs to restore daily service.
  by John_Perkowski

Behind a paywall at Trains... Amtrak is now saying if Congress mandates daily LD service, it will cut other service.

The betting pool is open as the game of budget chicken begins...
  by Pensyfan19

John_Perkowski wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:00 am Behind a paywall at Trains... Amtrak is now saying if Congress mandates daily LD service, it will cut other service.

The betting pool is open as the game of budget chicken begins...
This might be a bit soon to ask but are these cuts going to affect other daily trains, or trains with at least twice-a-day frequencies? In my opinion, I would rather have service cuts from two or three times a day to daily on one route or more than have daily service reduced to tri-weekly or zero times a week.
  by Gilbert B Norman

For TRAINS subscriber's ready reference, here's the material Col. Perkowski notes:

https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2 ... -operation

Fair Use:
Flynn said the company had not developed specific contingency plans for operating a daily long-distance network.

“If Congress directs us to operate a seven-day service we will,” Flynn said. “If they don’t [provide funding], we’ll have to make additional cuts to the workforce, and it would certainly affect our capital plans and suggest reductions on the Northeast Corridor and perhaps elsewhere on the national network.”

Gardner explained, “We get funded in two accounts, so the primary source we go to immediately is to slash capital in the national network because the operating will be in the national network. We can’t use Northeast Corridor [money] because that is given to us for capital for the NEC
Complete elimination of a route WILL save $$$; restoring it when COVID is over, "uh, not so fast", for first comes the Class I roads' "laundry list".
  by Jeff Smith

"Force us to daily LD, we'll cut off our nose to spite our face" or "we'll take a hatchet to the one thing we show an operating profit on".

How much do the daily LD's lose operating wise? What's the loss per passenger? Look, I want to ride cross-country myself, but...

Has anyone ever looked at the 3 versions of the Sunset to see which did best? I.e. Daily, Thrice Weekly, and Thrice Truncated at NOLO? Or the Cardinal when it went thrice weekly?
  by Pensyfan19

Jeff Smith wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:39 pm "Force us to daily LD, we'll cut off our nose to spite our face" or "we'll take a hatchet to the one thing we show an operating profit on".

How much do the daily LD's lose operating wise? What's the loss per passenger? Look, I want to ride cross-country myself, but...
If this bill does pass, then shouldn't the $26 Billion dollars in funding make up for a good portion of the operating losses? Even if a few Regionals, Cascades, Surfliners or other trains with multiple frequencies get reduced to daily service, Amtrak would still be saving money on those services and providing near-daily service on the LDs. (As long as other daily trains, such as the Heartland Flyer, don't get reduced to tri-weekly in areas that only see daily service.)
  by Jeff Smith

Let's rethink this... what's the most efficient? Is it thrice weekly? Or daily? Where's the greatest benefit?
  by John_Perkowski

My two cents is Amtrak is playing political headgames with everyone.

Yes, they've lost a ton of revenue, but by playing with the entire system, they are not making friends of anyone, Congress or travellers.
  by gokeefe

For the moment they get a pass. Once a vaccine has been out for a few months these decisions will get a much harder look.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

by Dcell

The majority of LD riders are leisure travelers and they have flexibility in their travel plans. 3x a week makes sense right now. Let's see per-train ridership with 3x/week service. Airlines have made huge service cuts in response to decreased ridership and Amtrak needs to do the same.