electricron wrote: ↑Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:47 pmI usually rent a truck when I'm in Texas (and most other places, too). But I try to ride transit in any big city. The problem I see with Texas public transport is this: Most of the light rail was built long ago and isn't in a comprehensive system except in Dallas. They're getting better, but have a long way to go. Further, the passenger train network is almost all long-distance trains, and few people (justifiably) want to rely on a 3x/week coming in from LA to get from San Antonio to Houston, for example.Gilbert B Norman wrote: ↑Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:58 am Finally, as I noted at the Transit Forum, I was in Dallas now two weeks ago. I hadn't been there in thirty years, and was totally astounded how the region has embraced mass transportation since that time. I had expected that any Texan's idea of "mass transportation" was simply the three tons of mass representing a Silverado (aren't they made at a GM Texas plant?) transporting often just a driver at whatever velocity the driver wished. Also when landing, when I was there last, the visible suburban sprawl was cotton fields.They build Escalades, Tahoes, and Denali(s) in Arlington, nor Silverados and Sierras.
Only 2%-3% of Texans ride public transit, but I suppose that is better than 1%.
The TRE and Tex Rail are a move in the right direction, but why do they stop in downtown Fort Worth when the population center (and a major university) are farther west? It's that old mentality of "everybody goes downtown" which isn't the case in Texas.
If I were to make a few changes to Texas rail transport, it might be this:
1. Double track TRE and extend to TCU or Lake Worth NAS.
2. The same for Texrail to Lake Worth or TCU.
3. Higher-speed rail between major cities - Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio, Houston, return.
4. Corridor trains to Oklahama and NOLA/Lafayette. 2x/day.
5. Make sure the Flyer has a connection up north to Dallas, which is 10x the size of Fort Worth.
6. Houston is another case entirely, that light rail is nice but useless other than riding to ball games or the rodeo. It should go to both airports, Galleria, maybe even Galveston or Woodlands.