Railroad Forums 

• Upcoming Acela and Lake Shore Limited Travel

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1549236  by NaugyRR

Hey Everyone,

I've got two questions regarding an upcoming Amtrak adventure my girlfriend and I are taking in September.

With Acela tickets on sale, and receiving two coupons for 50% off on top of that through Guest Rewards, we both decided to do an overnight semi-staycation to Boston.

I booked us on Acela service 2154 on 9/11 (connecting in NYP off of Empire train 232 from RHI). I haven't been on an Empire train since last Fall, and haven't rode an Acela in a few years (last time was a day trip to DC), so the assigned seating is new to me.

I see they are blocking the aisle seats to promote social distancing. We got assigned seats 15A and 15F, opposed window seats. I'm assuming they want to keep the aisle seats free to promote social distancing? Basically I want to verify that we need to sit in those seats and not next to each other, even though we live together and she works from home. Completely understandable if it's to keep others in the aisle safe.

Next question...

On the way back we've got a bedroom on 449 the following day so we can get a break from masks in the privacy of our own room. What's up with food on 449? I know it's a pretty short train but Amtrak's site says it serves lunch westbound.

We'll be connecting with 64 at Albany for the ride back to my Jeep at RHI. And if we're late I'm sure the father-in-law in Castleton could give us a ride, haha.

We're both pretty excited for this trip. We usually would've spent a couple weekends in Manhattan (or our canceled DC trip) by now, so we're looking forward to doing a socially distanced Amtral loop through CT, RI, and MA. I've never been on the NYP - BOS portion of the NEC, haven't been to Boston since my parents used to stay at the Howard Johnsons on Boylston Street behind Fenway when I was a kid, and this will be our experiment with a Viewliner for a possible future true long distance trip. Disney's not happening this year, and not looking good for next year, so this will be our vacation.

I got us a suite at the Hilton a few blocks up from BOS, so we can grab food from Quincy Market and bring it back. I'm hoping to do this safely as possible. The girlfriend wants to go to Emack & Bolio's at North Station, but I don't want to push our luck with mass transit; I may try to talk her into just doing the one that opened in Albany. I'd love to ride the Green Line and see the new Gov't Center, and check out the PCC's at Mattapan, but I may save that for a safer time.

Sorry for letting this get so lengthy, and thanks ahead of time for the responses.

Thanks,
Jesse

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

#1549238  by STrRedWolf

NaugyRR wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:18 pm Hey Everyone,

I've got two questions regarding an upcoming Amtrak adventure my girlfriend and I are taking in September.

With Acela tickets on sale, and receiving two coupons for 50% off on top of that through Guest Rewards, we both decided to do an overnight semi-staycation to Boston.

I booked us on Acela service 2154 on 9/11 (connecting in NYP off of Empire train 232 from RHI).
NY STate origin. You'll have some paperwork to fill out once you get there but you're exempt from the 14 day quarantine order that hit 2 days ago
I haven't been on an Empire train since last Fall, and haven't rode an Acela in a few years (last time was a day trip to DC), so the assigned seating is new to me.

I see they are blocking the aisle seats to promote social distancing. We got assigned seats 15A and 15F, opposed window seats. I'm assuming they want to keep the aisle seats free to promote social distancing? Basically I want to verify that we need to sit in those seats and not next to each other, even though we live together and she works from home. Completely understandable if it's to keep others in the aisle safe.
Yes, it's for social distancing on top of having to wear a mask while on-board.
Next question...

On the way back we've got a bedroom on 449 the following day so we can get a break from masks in the privacy of our own room. What's up with food on 449? I know it's a pretty short train but Amtrak's site says it serves lunch westbound.
It's all the Flexible Dining menus at this time. Here's the info about that.
 #1549244  by ThinkNarrow

I've ridden 449 a couple of times, but that was about 5 years ago. Even at that time, it didn't have a diner. The diner came up from NYC and joined 449 for the trip west. In summary, don't count on more than a sandwich on 449. You might better off buying something at BOS (probably lots available) and bringing it with you. This also avoids the risk of bustitution. Others may have further advice.
 #1549256  by J.D. Lang

I finally did my trip starting on July 20th from NH to NYP to Chicago to DC and back to NH that I had postponed from April. The regional’s that I took from NH to NYP and then coming back to NH from DC are all booked to only 50% so everyone has their own window seat but the regional’s are not assigned seating. I would think that the conductor on the Acela would allow you to sit together. I had a roomette on the Lakeshore to Chicago and went for the Bedroom on the Cardinal. The 2 sleepers on 49 had probably only 12 to 15 people between the 2 cars and no one stayed in the viewdiner for their meals except me. Believe it or not the Cardinal’s one sleeper was about 2/3rds full but they would not let anyone sit in the dinette, they brought your order to you. Just wanted to give you a quick overview of what I experienced on my trip during Covid in case you may book a fall trip.

I haven’t been on 449 since 91 but I’m sure it’s still just a café car with the plain old café car menu. Without the baggage car anymore on 449 the sleeper is right behind the engines so you may find that a bit disconcerting.

Forgot to add that yes masks are required on all trains but in the privacy of a roomette you can take them off.
 #1549357  by NaugyRR

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. The mask thing is no big deal, we knew about it and living in NY are both used to it by now. If it keeps others around us a little safer then we're both all for being respectful in putting them on. That being said, it will be nice to have them off in the Viewliner bedroom.

One of the reasons we chose Boston was because it was far enough away but still in the list of states that are 'ok' for the moment. Hopefully things stay that way, with other states flaring up like crazy and people starting to get dumb with breaking the distancing.
 #1549395  by BandA

Hilton Downtown/Faneuil Hall is the former Batterymarch building. Emack & Bolio's by North Station is only 0.9 mile walk. Or Toscanini's Ice Cream seems to still be at their "temporary" location, W-Su 3PM-10PM 159 First St in Cambridge, near-ish to red line Kendall (or Lechmere bus). I'd recommend the lobster roll from James Hook (Between South Station & your hotel) but it's up to $22 now! (About $6 twenty years ago!) If you plan to use local public transportation, check the MBTA website alerts for schedule changes & alerts, such as the year long bustitution between North Station & Lechmere on the Green Line.
 #1549418  by NaugyRR

Thanks BandA, I'll check out the food spots and deff keep an eye on the MBTA Alerts. I'm used to the NYCTA and their weekend delays, so I'm no stranger to watching for transit alerts, haha.

I'm pretty excited, we used to go to Boston every year or so when I was little, staying at the HoJo's behind Fenway off of Boylston. The last time we went was in the early 00's, we stayed at the Royal Sonesta near Lechmere and the Science Museum. We had a room that had a good view of the Green Line by the museum and the Red Line trains crossing the river.

I may buy a couple day passes for the subway and do a little exploring. I'd like to take the Green Line to Kenmore and check out what became of the old HoJo's. My dad and I used to watch the commuter trains from the Pike overpass there too, so I'd like to get a nostalgia fix.

On the way I'd like to stop at Boylston Station and grab a couple photos of the PCC and Type 5 on display. I'd also like to ride the Mattapan Line if possible. We're getting early enough, around 2 in the afternoon, where once we unload our backpacks at the hotel, if we start south and do Mattapan, come back up to do the Green Line and ice cream, then finish off the day by grabbing something to eat at Quincy Market and taking it back to the room, I think we should be alright time-wise. The cookies at the Chip Yard look good, and the bread bowl at the Chowda Company is really calling to me. I'm a sucker for good clam chowder.

I see there's a Subway around the corner from the hotel. I think we'll grab a couple subs from there and stock up on some snacks for the trip back on 449, as it sounds like the food situation is kind of 'meh'.

With the bedroom tickets we should have access to the lounge at BOS, correct?

I know the LSL is kind of notorious for running late, how bad is it between BOS and ALB? Will I need to have the father-in-law come down the hill from Castleton and give us a ride, haha?
 #1549435  by daybeers

The Green Line has had lots of closures to accommodate accelerated work programs, so check those before you go.

Yes, the bedroom tickets get you into the lounge, but I'm not sure how many amenities they will be offering at the time.

I would agree with eating before/bringing food with you just in case. Flexible Dining has had a mixed response, with most being negative. That being said, it is included in your fare and has been compared to Applebee's by some. Just be cautious if you have any allergies or dietary restrictions, as you have to inform Amtrak of that with some notice (I believe 48 or 72 hours, but I'd recommend mentioning when you book just in case).

All of Amtrak's on-time performance is tracked on this third-party website called ASMAD. You can see the history of any train and/or station going back a long time. For example, here is the link to 449's history over the past month. I believe the cancellations shown were due to MBTA track work for PTC on their Worcester line, but I think those are over.
 #1552393  by NaugyRR

Thanks everyone for their input! We got back into RHI around 8:30 last night after connecting with a late 64 in ALB.

We had a good trip, great views from the Hellgate on the Acela, I got my Boston trolley fix, and the ride in the bedroom on 449 was very relaxing. Spent a bunch of money on chowder, cookies, and donuts, haha. I found it interesting the heavyrail subways run with markers instead of headlights.

We'll both be back to Boston at some point to check it out a little more. Deff want to do 49 overnight to Chicago and the Silver Service to Florida to visit her aunts.

Here's some of the rail-related shots I took on Friday...

Enjoy!
JesseImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk