Railroad Forums 

• Siemens Venture Single Level Cars for CA/IL/Midwest

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1549231  by gokeefe

And for the paint people I think this is now technically "Phase VI" ... So off to the races on a decade long discussion of that one ...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1549250  by flexliner

Ok could someone explain why the cars nearest the engines on both ends have doors both vestibules with the one closest to the engine seemingly high and the other end long with folding steps. While the center cars have only one long door with the other vestibule sealed off.
What different car types are there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #1549272  by Gilbert B Norman

OK; interesting to learn that some of the Siemens cars will be liveried in "Phase Retro". Since there are three - CA, IL, MI - state level agencies that have ordered these cars (and msybe a fourth- MO), I’m wondering which ones wanted that livery.

But I think rail passenger service will be the better for having those cars in service, if my personal experiences with their "siblings" - Brightline and Overseas (AT, DE) are any measurement.
 #1549278  by NH2060

That is the ugliest Amtrak train I have ever seen. Seriously, who thought that large red stripe on the bottom was a good idea? The Midwest livery as used on the Chargers was perfect. And the renderings of the IDOT coaches looked very sharp.

And as stupid as the Caltrans cars look with that "action yellow" and multi-tone blue stripe at the bottom (once again the renderings were better than the finished product) at least it "looks California-ish" much like how the Brightline cars have that "Florida look" to them.

I sure hope the regular Amtrak, WSDOT and VIA Rail cars will look better :P
 #1549300  by R36 Combine Coach

Matt Johnson wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:48 pm There are cab cars on order but they don't look like NJ Transit Comet cabs or whatever...they have streamlined, crash protection designed cabs.
Newer "safety cabs", seen first on Metrolink's Rotem fleet and on GO Transit's new BBD fleet starting in 2015.
 #1549355  by ST Saint

A little lunch time boredom in PowerPoint. It looks like the liveries will still mismatch some since the graphics flare up on the rear of the Charger. I just don't understand it.. Does anyone think they'll adapt the Chargers by removing the fins on the Cali units and matching the striping?

Regardless, still very excited to see new cars rolling out. Hopefully for Amtrak proper (and maybe Cascades?) they will have a livery that makes sense for existing chargers or whatever the ALC-42 will look like.
 #1549356  by Pensyfan19

ST Saint wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:14 pm A little lunch time boredom in PowerPoint. It looks like the liveries will still mismatch some since the graphics flare up on the rear of the Charger. I just don't understand it.. Does anyone think they'll adapt the Chargers by removing the fins on the Cali units and matching the striping?

Regardless, still very excited to see new cars rolling out. Hopefully for Amtrak proper (and maybe Cascades?) they will have a livery that makes sense for existing chargers or whatever the ALC-42 will look like.
The livery on the back of the charger doesn't match up with the rest of the coaches. Same thing applies for the CALDOT coaches. In terms of aesthetically pleasing locomotive and coach designs, either the Chargers or the Venture coaches need to go through a major repainting process in order for both of the ends to match up correctly.

This should emphasize my point, when comparing what we have now to the original concept art for these coaches.

https://slideplayer.com/slide/13968865/ (skip to slide 10)