• Amtrak Expansion Plan

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

• 559 posts
  by west point

Tadman: You hit the nail on the head about Pensacola. I would add Panama City, and Apalachicola Florida as well. All three of these cities are very high traffic destinations for persons from TN, AL, GA , NC, and SC. At one time there was Passenger service to all three from Atlanta and other locations. The trains except Pensacola were all convoluted as Atlanta - Montgomery - Flomaton - Pensacola maintained thru the early 1960s. ATL - Dothan - PC even had a sleeper at one time.
  by west point

Tadman: You hit the nail on the head about Pensacola. I would add Panama City, and Apalachicola Florida as well. All three of these cities are very high traffic destinations for persons from TN, AL, GA , NC, and SC. At one time there was Passenger service to all three from Atlanta and other locations. The trains except Pensacola were all convoluted as Atlanta - Montgomery - Flomaton - Pensacola maintained thru the early 1960s. ATL - Dothan - PC even had a sleeper at one time.
  by Tadman

So the traffic is certainly there, but the hurdles are getting a family of 3-5 out of their minivan or Tahoe and into a train. Quite often there is a truckload literally of inflatable stuff, beer, canoes, powerboats on a trailer, etc... So it's hard to sell that concept because the large car is very efficient and effective at moving five people plus their very copious gear from a suburb of Nashville or Atlanta to Panama City or Pensacola.
  by David Benton

Where you have families in carloads , you generally have single travellers too. Kids , kids friends , Granparents, Mum or Dad heading back to work early , etc . I once knew a pilot on a small seaside based airline , and he said that's what kept them going . Business travellers were the cream on top .