Railroad Forums 

• All Things Cascades incl Vancouver

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1517902  by Backshophoss

After the wreck,NTSB and FRA went sour on the taglos,that's why the "push" for new cars,also FRA wants a Trainline door interlock
that trips the PKO relay,open door=no traction power.

Figure on some testing of the Siemens cars at taglo speeds at Pueblo and on the route.
 #1517915  by gokeefe

daybeers wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:52 pm I'm all for new cars but doesn't the current articulating equipment save a not-so-significant chunk of time?
It's the passive tilt system that allows for increased speeds.
 #1546983  by ST Saint

Giving this older "main" thread a bump.

According to a number of postings and Youtube videos, the Talgo 6 sets have been retired from service as of yesterday. I have yet to see in person, but I saw an Instagram post of a Horizon train set in Seattle to be used as a replacement.

Here's a related video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ3kUOlitQw
 #1546988  by gokeefe

The study that matters in this case is the crash itself. Plenty of data there and with previous experience elsewhere. I can't ever recall hearing of issues with structural failure by Horizon cars or Comets.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1547007  by gokeefe

Nice to hear they got a replacement. That's a minor miracle in of itself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1547027  by Tadman

gokeefe wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:28 am
daybeers wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:52 pm I'm all for new cars but doesn't the current articulating equipment save a not-so-significant chunk of time?
It's the passive tilt system that allows for increased speeds.
I think it's 3:45 for Cascade Seattle to Portland and 4:10 for the Starlight. So yes it is faster by 25 minutes, but I think a traveler on either train mentally rounds that to a four hour trip.

Lets put it this way, you can leave on the Starlight at 930am from Seattle and take 4:10, or wait til 1115 and take 3:45. The saved 25 minutes are easily compensated for by the earlier Starlight departure. Also, the Starlight originates at Seattle while the 1115a Cascade is from Vancouver, and may have bridge or border delays coming to Seattle.

Every time I ride this route or look at the timetable I am reminded of the beauty of a train system with multiple intermediate stops and terminals. There are really 3-5 discrete ridership patterns here and I think they do a disservice running full-length Cascades and a Starlight past Portland. I think they could really improve ridership by making three discrete Starlight routes - Eugene, central core, and Vancouver.
 #1547902  by lpetrich

Titled link: The WSDOT Blog - Washington State Department of Transportation: An update on Amtrak Cascades as we move through the summer
We continue to meet bi-weekly with Sound Transit, Amtrak, ODOT and Federal Railroad Administration to move forward on the return to the Point Defiance Bypass between Tacoma and DuPont. As the track owner, Sound Transit is leading those discussions and managing the schedule and next steps.

Currently, Sound Transit is developing its Rail Activation Plan related to safety criteria, outreach activities and processes they need completed before they will approve track testing and Amtrak crew qualification. Once those activities are underway, Sound Transit will determine a date for returning passenger rail service to the Point Defiance Bypass.
 #1548052  by Martin Baumann

https://www.railwaygazette.com/traction ... 67.article

Fair-use quote:
Washington State Department of Transportation has withdrawn its 1998-built Talgo VI trainsets used to operate the Amtrak Cascades services between Eugene, Portland, Seattle and Vancouver, ahead of the procurement of replacement rolling stock.

Withdrawal of the Talgo VIs was recommended by the National Transportation Safety Board following the December 2017 Du Pont derailment in which several vehicles were destroyed. The cutting back of services during the coronavirus pandemic enabled the two remaining 12-car trainsets to be taken out of service in June, and these have now been put up for sale. The two Talgo Series 8 trainsets owned by Oregon Department of Transportation, which have improved crashworthiness, will continue to operate in the corridor.
The article mentions stopgap Horizon equipment and the Point Defiance Bypass too.
Last edited by mtuandrew on Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Fair-use quote