• Amtrak Skipped Newark Penn??

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by prr60

davidfurg wrote:While returning from New York City with my son at Newark Penn Station at approximately 12:30 pm just as our NJ Transit local to Trenton was pulling out on Track 4 a long distance Amtrak Train came through on Track 3 without stopping. Judging by the consist, a baggage car a couple of Viewliners, Heritage Diner and some coaches and the Amtrak Schedule, I think this may have been a late running Train 91 (Silver Star). It appeared to have some people on it so I don't think it was a deadhead move. As anyone ever heard of this or any other Amtrak train using the NE Corridor bypassing Newark Penn when late?? I thought with the exception of a couple of Acelas all Amtraks on the corridor stop there.
#91 was basically on-time today (1/28) out of NYP (10:52), NWK (11:19) and WAS (15:05). Whatever you saw at 12:30, it was not today's #91.
  by amtrakhogger

Hebrewman9 wrote:
amtrakhogger wrote:The only non-stop scheduled trains that pass through NWK are 2105 and
2120. 91 is not a conditional stop at Newark, it stops whether or not
passengers are boarding. A passenger could buy a ticket 10 minutes
before arrival and their name may not be on the mainfest. So the train crew cannot assume there are no passengers for the train based on the
manifest.
Yes, but again Amtrak says passengers should arrive 30 minutes early. To give a similar example, what if a passenger hadn't arrived at a flag stop two minutes early, and thus the engineer didn't see him, and the train was going to fast to stop when he arrived?

Bad example, although you may be right here.
I was citing a possible situation ("what if.....".)
  by Hebrewman9

amtrakhogger wrote:
Hebrewman9 wrote:
amtrakhogger wrote:The only non-stop scheduled trains that pass through NWK are 2105 and
before arrival and their name may not be on the mainfest. So the train crew cannot assume there are no passengers for the train based on the
manifest.
Yes, but again Amtrak says passengers should arrive 30 minutes early. To give a similar example, what if a passenger hadn't arrived at a flag stop two minutes early, and thus the engineer didn't see him, and the train was going to fast to stop when he arrived?

Oh no, I'm sorry, I was referring to my example, not yours. Sorry for the confusion... wow that would have been exceedingly rude.
  by Noel Weaver

Hebrewman9 wrote:
amtrakhogger wrote:
Hebrewman9 wrote:
manifest.

Oh no, I'm sorry, I was referring to my example, not yours. Sorry for the confusion... wow that would have been exceedingly rude.
I seem to recall one of the Florida trains being fully reserved for a group
of young people between West Palm Beach and New York. Not sure about
this but if this be the case, there would be no need for any intermediate
stops except for engine changes, crew changes or to service the engines
or cars. I do not remember the specifics nor the dates involved.
Noel Weaver
  by Gilbert B Norman

amtrakhogger wrote: 91 is not a conditional stop at Newark, it stops whether or not passengers are boarding.
Even though the PTT denotes "R" for 91 at NWK, I'll stand corrected insomuch, Mr. Hogger, as you evidently are in Amtrak Engine service and have access to an ETT. Obviously that latter document governs; the former is simply passenger information.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Noel Weaver wrote:I seem to recall one of the Florida trains being fully reserved for a group of young people between West Palm Beach and New York. Not sure about this but if this be the case, there would be no need for any intermediate stops except for engine changes, crew changes or to service the engines or cars. I do not remember the specifics nor the dates involved.
Mr. Weaver, likely you are addressing the Safety Patrol Special. My understanding that as far back as FEC/ACL days, there was operated a special train to reward achieving school safety patrol "officers'. Amtrak continued the movements, but IIRC about two years ago, Chessie told Amtrak "you're not running any additional trains over my railroad". So in order to accommodate this long standing group move, Amtrak simply removed one train, Meteor or Star I know not, from public sale when the Safety Patrol groups were to be handled. Likely the Sleepers and Diner were 'blanked" and additional coaches substituted in their place.
  by Pensyfan19

Wouldn't the non-stop Acela Express service fall under this category of not stopping at Newark Penn as well?

Also were there any other trains which ran for Amtrak, other than the Metroliner non-stop express service similar to the present day Acela non-stop service, which did not stop at Newark Penn?

Third, could it be possible for Amtrak to reroute express trains along the former electrified PRR freight bypass via the Point-No-Point Bridge (currently used by NS) so that it does not interfere with traffic near Newark Penn?
  by STrRedWolf

Pensyfan19 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:19 am Wouldn't the non-stop Acela Express service fall under this category of not stopping at Newark Penn as well?

Also were there any other trains which ran for Amtrak, other than the Metroliner non-stop express service similar to the present day Acela non-stop service, which did not stop at Newark Penn?

Third, could it be possible for Amtrak to reroute express trains along the former electrified PRR freight bypass via the Point-No-Point Bridge (currently used by NS) so that it does not interfere with traffic near Newark Penn?
The "Bullet Express" would fall under the not stopping at Newark Penn, since It's by definition non-stop between NYP and WAS. Newark Penn is in New Jersey.

Also checking the national PTT from 2016... there's no train that passes by that station along the NEC.
  by Tadman

Newark Penn is an impressive operation, but what is the nature of the Acela passengers there? Jersey suburbanites that don't want to backtrack into the city before a ride to PHL or WAS? It's a bit of a gritty area, although the Portuguese and Spanish food a few blocks away is amazing.

Would EWR perhaps make a better station for suburbanites if parking were readily available without riding that awful monorial?
  by WhartonAndNorthern

Pensyfan19 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:19 am Third, could it be possible for Amtrak to reroute express trains along the former electrified PRR freight bypass via the Point-No-Point Bridge (currently used by NS) so that it does not interfere with traffic near Newark Penn?
Not without restringing the wire and dodging Conrail, NS, and CSX freight traffic.
  by NY&LB

Not without restringing the wire and dodging Conrail, NS, and CSX freight traffic.
That's one problem but just where is the rail connection to get to the North River tunnels after crossing the Hackensack River on Point-No-Point????

The New Portal Bridge will be build before a connection to the Point-No-Point freight line could even be "studied".

I remember watching the American Freedom Train with READING 2101 (numbered AFT 1) and THREE GG1s cross there before heading up the River Line.....some time ago!
  by cle

Tadman wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:20 am Newark Penn is an impressive operation, but what is the nature of the Acela passengers there? Jersey suburbanites that don't want to backtrack into the city before a ride to PHL or WAS? It's a bit of a gritty area, although the Portuguese and Spanish food a few blocks away is amazing.

Would EWR perhaps make a better station for suburbanites if parking were readily available without riding that awful monorial?
One word: PATH.

It's a connection point for anyone smart from Lower Manhattan heading south, or anyone with a good connection into Fulton St for that matter - plus those from JC/Hoboken of course. And the wider NJT network - not just drivers to Newark, or those in walking distance.

If the PATH line up 6th Ave was extended to Newark, it would unlock even more folks who prefer to avoid NY Penn, and might also be quicker to reach their home or office. Saves a few $ too sometimes.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Dunville, dig out any of your PRR Timetables; Local, E-W Form 1, or South, and you'll see specific H&M trains from Hudson Terminal designate to connect with the PRR trains.

Interline checked baggage was available there and the H&M issued interline tickets (as did the C,NS,&M out here).
  by Jeff Smith

You should have seen how gritty it was in 1979 when I had to walk from the AFIS (Armed Forces Induction Something or other) to it.
Tadman wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:20 am Newark Penn is an impressive operation, but what is the nature of the Acela passengers there? Jersey suburbanites that don't want to backtrack into the city before a ride to PHL or WAS? It's a bit of a gritty area, although the Portuguese and Spanish food a few blocks away is amazing.

by Gilbert B Norman

AFEES - Armed Forces Examining and Entrance Ststion