Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1547050  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. O'Keefe, you have affirmed what I repoted - that there is no physical interchange between any Pan Am line and that of the CN.

I'm happy to continue our discussion over at the Pan Am Forum; that whoever ends up with with PAR also inherits a contract to operate passenger trains for the account of NNEPRA.
 #1547060  by gokeefe

I would note Mr. Norman that the "contract to operate" is with Amtrak which then has an "operating agreement" with Pan Am Railways.

While this "fancy language" may seem meaningless it would best be explained in railroad terms as akin to "trackage rights" to another railroad (specifically to Amtrak from Pan Am). Although most people probably do not think of Amtrak as a carrier that is exactly what they are.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1547065  by Trinnau

gokeefe wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:51 pm All very true but point being they added service that compromised enhancements that should have allowed Amtrak and the MBTA to operate seamlessly. These enhancements weren't done to *preserve access* they were done to *perfect* it.

My point is they were done to *perfect it* given the operations at the time those enhancements were designed and funded - stepping stones toward future *perfection*. Things have changed on both the MBTA and Downeaster side, both entities have changed their operating slots, no surprise they wouldn't be static for eternity. It won't be *perfect* until it's fully double-tracked for both services, and even then there could still be conflicts especially if the MBTA wants to go in the direction of high-frequency service as their FMCB has indicated it wants to do. 15-minute service on the Lowell Line would leave a very narrow gap for the Downeaster to hit.
 #1547066  by gokeefe

I didn't realize they wanted to go to such close headways. Well, "yes" in that case there are definitely future bottlenecks.

#1547138  by MEC407

Yes. Several years ago.
 #1547139  by sicariis

There’s been extensive tie replacement work in Newmarket and Newfields by the Rockingham Junction the last couple days. You can smell the creosote when driving over the 108 crossing.
 #1547169  by NS VIA FAN

Some Downeaster DNA from summer 1931....

This Down Easter (spelling)....had a through sleeper between New York (GCT) and Halifax NS via Worcester on Fridays that was added to the Boston-Halifax Pine Tree Acadian......also running was the Gull

#1547179  by gokeefe

I had no recollection of the fact that the original ran through to Halifax. Very impressive find.

#1547187  by bostontrainguy

eustis22 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:03 pm I thought SLR stopped serving the bean factory.
The line is actually severed just south of Danville.

I thought that it might be easier and cheaper to simply run the Downeaster to Lewiston-Auburn by going up the SLR and coming south on the B&M. Cheaper and quicker than double tracking the B&M I would think?
 #1547221  by markhb

It's actually physically severed?
 #1547226  by bostontrainguy

markhb wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:11 am It's actually physically severed?
Well they put up tie barriers and stop signs and removed one rail to officially cut the line just south of Danville.
SLR.jpg
SLR.jpg (779.37 KiB) Viewed 1337 times