Railroad Forums 

• SELECTED ON-TIME PERFORMANCE 5/29/20 THROUGH 6/27/20

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1546856  by shlustig

Results for this period are:

TOTAL TRAINS = 821

ON TIME = 493 (60%)

LATE = 328 (40%)

AVERAGE DELAY = 49"

NO GRACE PERIOD IS ALLOWED; OT IS OT AND LATE IS LATE

Of the late trains:
52% were 29" or less late;
24% were 30" to 59" late;
15% were 1' to 2' late;
9% were more than 2' late; and <1% had no arrival time shown.

BY ROUTE, WITH OT % AND AVERAGE DELAY:

CAPITOL LIMITED
#29 - 50% - 1' 12"
#30 - 47% - 41"

CARDINAL (WAS)
#51 - 58% - 52"
#50 - 31% - 1' 51"

PENNSYLVANIAN
#43 - 80% - 27"
#42 - 30% - 1' 02"

LAKE SHORE LIMITED
#49 - 63% - 1' 33"
#48 - 80% - 27"

LAKE SHORE LIMITED (BOSTON / ALBANY)
#449 - 50% - 21"
#448 - 13% - 26"

CITY OF NEW ORLEANS
#59 - 86% - 1' 41"
#58 - 86% - 1' 31"

CRESCENT (WAS)
#19 - 50% - 32"
#20 - 68% - 56"

DETROIT CORRIDOR
(W) - 73% - 40"
(E) - 80% - 1' 27"

ST. LOUIS CORRIDOR
(W) - 83% - 21"
(E) - 73% - 38"

BUFFALO CORRIDOR
(W) - 24% - 52"
(E) - 66% - 31"

KANSAS CITY CORRIDOR
(W) - 77% - 19"
(E) - 55% - 18"

Amtrak annulled or cancelled 405 trains (of the abovelisted services) in this period.

This was the first period in which no service improved in both measured categories.

Overall performance in this period was a distinct downturn from the prior period.

While Amtrak does not provide information as to the causes of all delays, a review of what was provided for the period 6/15 to 6/29 showed that of 117 causes given, the breakdown was:
Equipment failure = 34
Host road problems = 67
3rd party causes = 8
Weather causes other than heat = 6
Hold for connecting passengers = 2

Hopefully, we will see an improvement in the coming periods.
 #1546882  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Lustig, I would never stoop to the gutter level that long-departed Matt Fels went to against your suvey, but at this time, what I can observe with my own eyes, #4 and #6 have been "good children" in this COVID-era with more or less on time or better passing of MP 18.72
 #1547481  by shlustig

In answer to an off-line query, I don't know why Amtrak doesn't provide complete delay information. In some instances, I can check local news media to get information, especially for 3rd party or weather-related causes.

For others, such as the daily cancellation of the Boston section o the Lake Shore Limited, the silence is deafening. Also, it is not unusual to find a report that Train #XXX is now so many minutes late without any other information as to the reason therefore.
 #1548093  by shlustig

Had an off-line query about the delay cause "unforeseen crew change", but can't really shed any light on this. Unless thimgs have changed, a crew had to notify the train dispatcher when they had 2' time to work remaining. It was possible that as a result of a trespass or grade-crossing incident that a crew could not continue due to injury or shock, but that does not seem to be the case with the Amtrak examples in the absence of further explanation. For example, #50 (16th) eastbound Cardinal had an unforeseen crew change delay east of Connersville (COI) with resultant delay and no explanation.
 #1551229  by troffey

shlustig wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:53 am In answer to an off-line query, I don't know why Amtrak doesn't provide complete delay information. In some instances, I can check local news media to get information, especially for 3rd party or weather-related causes.

For others, such as the daily cancellation of the Boston section o the Lake Shore Limited, the silence is deafening. Also, it is not unusual to find a report that Train #XXX is now so many minutes late without any other information as to the reason therefore.
The Lake Shore Limited was a result of the MBTA PTC cutover, which it is safe to say did not go smoothly. Most commuter trains on the line were also cancelled or cut back and bustituted.