Railroad Forums 

• Operation during civil unrest

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1544559  by Tadman

Recently Metra, CTA, and South Shore are not operating into downtown Chicago due to the protest and riots. Has Amtrak made any adjustments? It would be a nasty surprise to get off a late train in Chicago and find no public transit, few taxis, and family/friends cannot get downtown to pick you up.
 #1544562  by Gilbert B Norman

Originally posted at another topic, but allow me to add such here:

Related of sorts, as widely reported by local media, METRA and CSS&SB operations are suspended today.

CTA, bus and rail, are operated outside of an "exclusion zone" comprising what could roundly be called "downtown". Reportedly, Law Enforcement will be checking credentials of all entering by auto and allowed entrance only if an "essential worker" or a resident.

But through it all, according to Train Status, Amtrak operations appear unaffected. All told, if one's intention is to come to Chicago, with "no good" in mind, best do so on Amtrak. Of course, credentials could be checked for anyone leaving CUS.

Meantime everyone, stay safe. It's quite disconcerting to learn civil unrest has occurred in one municipality (Oak Brook) immediately North of my quiet, peaceful, and affluent "burb". Just as well, our streets are not part of the Chicago Grid and are not exactly laid out in straight lines.
 #1544579  by Tadman

I'm less worried about Amtrak bringing in protesters than I am them dropping off an unsuspecting person into a unsafe space. Sometimes people who have never been to the big city have no idea what they're in for.
 #1544583  by rcthompson04

SEPTA has suspended some services (everything on Sunday evening and non-Regional Rail on Monday). Today things seem to be running in under the normal for the last few weeks (Non-Regional Rail back to normal schedule with station and stop adjustments and Regional Rail running on reduced schedule).

The Keystone Service resumed running a modified schedule on Monday with the Pennsylvanian back on its normal schedule.
 #1544631  by TomNelligan

In Boston, the MBTA has basically continued running its reduced commuter rail schedule out of North and South Stations, neither of which is in the immediate vicinity of downtown protests. However on several occasions trains have skipped stops at outlying stations where demonstrations are occurring near stations, like last night in Brockton on the Middleboro line. Subway and light rail operations have continued throughout but with frequent closings of downtown stations like Park Street that are in proximity to gatherings.
 #1544860  by GooStats

i'm surprised Amtrak didn't suspend service for the safety of passengers, crews and equipment. Looting and rioting was occurring right near the NEC in Trenton and Philly.(both very close to the site of the derailment a few years ago and the North Philadelphia Station). Looting happened outside of Penn Station in NY. There was confirmed looting of freight trains in Chicago.I'm sure trains were in some tough areas in other cities.