Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1544330  by gokeefe

The parking garage belongs to Maine Health and is for the exclusive use of their staff. It has controlled access (roll-up gates that remain closed unless entry or exit is occurring) at all points and is generally speaking a secure facility.

The Rock Row commuter proposal apparently is pretty serious given that NNEPRA seems to strongly influenced by this possibility.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1544455  by markhb

Ryanontherails wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:39 pm
gokeefe wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:21 pm Not as expensive as you might think. It's probably going to be a condemnation by MaineDOT if I'm reading the tea leaves correctly. In that case it's just fair market value of the real estate and the business will have to relocate.

Is that F. W. Webb, or is it Ferguson? If it's the latter then it should be even cheaper. And there is a brand new parking garage next door, making that site even better.
It's Ferguson (not sure if they're still connected to Redlon & Johnson). F.W. Webb has their showroom by the postal distribution center in Scarborough.
 #1545369  by gokeefe

It is a minor miracle to see service return. This will be the third time in the past 20 years that service has returned from an extended absence. The first being 2001 for the inauguration of new service the second being 2004 after the conclusion of the Democratic National Convention in Boston and the third being for COVID-19. Let's hope that this restart is ultimately as successful as the first two.

#1545468  by swist

It still has the "Essential travel only" statement. Does this make sense given the roads and many other facilties are now wide open? Are you going to be queried as to whether your trip is "essential" when you board? Book?
 #1545469  by gokeefe

I think it makes perfect sense for now. Maybe not in 30-60 days. Cumberland and York counties along with many of the other areas the train serves have problems with community transmission of COVID-19.

#1545905  by charlesriverbranch

I'm on #685 today. Not a lot of passengers; a 5 PM train out of North Station on Friday is usually packed, but not today. No cafe service. Conductor said we will be an hour late into Brunswick due to track work and Pan Am heat restrictions.

The long term parking lot at Woburn was maybe a quarter full; the short term (commuter) lot was almost empty.
 #1545908  by gokeefe

Thanks for posting with the early impressions of the recovery. Good to hear they're running again.

#1546774  by Gilbert B Norman

https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2 ... s-for-sale

Fair Use (paywalled material):
BILLERICA, Mass. — New England regional Pan Am Railways is for sale.

The privately held company, owned by 78-year-old Tim Mellon and other investors, has enlisted BMO Financial Group to assist with a potential sale transaction, according to multiple railroad industry sources.

Pan Am officials did not respond to a request for comment.

Industry observers say there will be considerable competition to buy Pan Am, which operates on 1,700 route miles and is the largest regional railroad in North America.

“I would expect that everyone is going to be interested in it,” says independent railroad analyst Anthony B. Hatch.
While this development is being discussed over at the Pan Am Forum, one must wonder what impact, if any, such will have on the operation of The Downeaster? If a piecemeal breakup appears inevitable, might the sponsor, NNEPRA, attempt to acquire the route beyond the MBTA service area?

Safe assumption, Mr. O'Keefe will be closely following such.
 #1546778  by Pensyfan19

While this development is being discussed over at the Pan Am Forum, one must wonder what impact, if any, such will have on the operation of The Downeaster? If a piecemeal breakup appears inevitable, might the sponsor, NNEPRA, attempt to acquire the route beyond the MBTA service area?
Or maybe even purchase the line all the way to Bangor for Boston-Bangor service??? (Something which hasn't been seen since the end of B&M passenger service in the region in the mid 1960s.)
 #1546800  by sicariis

That is quite interesting. How would that work in New Hampshire? You would essentially have a State of Maine Transit Authority owning the ROW in another state. Is that legal?

Would love to see the end of conservative heat restrictions, and potentially some day class 5 or 6 speeds.
 #1546803  by gokeefe

Gilbert B Norman wrote: While this development is being discussed over at the Pan Am Forum, one must wonder what impact, if any, such will have on the operation of The Downeaster? If a piecemeal breakup appears inevitable, might the sponsor, NNEPRA, attempt to acquire the route beyond the MBTA service area?

Safe assumption, Mr. O'Keefe will be closely following such.
Jesus ... This is what I get for not checking the forums for a day or two!

Wow ... So to answer your question Mr. Norman, "No" I do not believe the State of Maine would acquire the route from Plaistow, NH to Brunswick. Or even Berwick, ME to Brunswick, ME. I think there is a very high degree of confidence that any new operator would likely honor all existing agreements (as the STB would almost certainly require). The regulatory position of the service is very stable. Not vulnerable to effects of new ownership.

A Class I could muddy that water somewhat but I'm not confident that is even the case ... Class I ownership could be very positive.