Railroad Forums 

• Acela II (Alstom Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1544266  by MattW

Would they need to be using Absolute Block until the FRA certifies it for mixed operation? That's one reason I would guess for using the Keystone line, probably much emptier so establishing absolute block wouldn't affect as much traffic.
 #1544319  by nomis

Pensyfan19 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:55 pm Anyone know why the trainset is testing on the Keystone corridor instead of the NEC? Could it be possible that these trainsets could (eventually) be used for Keystone service?
Don't read into things too much ... Even the Acela I tested on the Keystone corridor before debut, and sometimes after being rejoined after their splitting and updating approx 10-15 years ago.
 #1544328  by gokeefe

Gilbert B Norman wrote:(apparently Keystone Corridor in "latter day railfanese")
Mr. Norman,

I would note in fairness to Amtrak (the owner) that "Keystone Corridor" is their official designation of the line between Philadelphia and Harrisburg. I'm sure that the engineering department has a specific technical designation but as best I know "Keystone Corridor" is in fact the regular usage for anything beyond surveys, designs and plans.

I write this for the sake of the professionals, in particular those who post here, who might not want to be mistaken for amateurs.

Posted with my utmost respect and appreciation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1544329  by gokeefe

Pensyfan19 wrote:Could it be possible that these trainsets could (eventually) be used for Keystone service?
Not even remotely in the realm of consideration at this point in time. Even the "after 20 years" scenario probably isn't considered realistic.

#1544338  by Gilbert B Norman

Here's the post as originally submitted:
Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:24 am Here's is the best video I've seen of the Acela II operating on the "Main Line" (apparently Keystone Corridor in "latter day railfanese")

https://youtu.be/vUVKtaH09z8
I have edited the post that Mr. O'Keefe rightly addressed in recognition that Keystone Corridor is an official term.

Perhaps if there was still such a publication called the System Timetable that would have been in the periphery of my Living Room chair, along with my Journal, Times, and a Road Atlas, I would not have made the error. But in an environment where terms such as SWC, CS, SL, LSL....., none of which are official Amtrakese, are thrown about, I hope I can be given latitude for this error on my part, just as Mr. O'Keefe has chosen to do.
 #1544341  by emd645e3

gokeefe wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:33 am
Gilbert B Norman wrote:(apparently Keystone Corridor in "latter day railfanese")
Mr. Norman,

I would note in fairness to Amtrak (the owner) that "Keystone Corridor" is their official designation of the line between Philadelphia and Harrisburg. I'm sure that the engineering department has a specific technical designation but as best I know "Keystone Corridor" is in fact the regular usage for anything beyond surveys, designs and plans.

I write this for the sake of the professionals, in particular those who post here, who might not want to be mistaken for amateurs.

Posted with my utmost respect and appreciation.

It’s actually the Main Line Philadelphia to Harrisburg, or PH line for the sake of brevity. Keystone Corridor is a marketing term.
 #1544424  by emd645e3

bostontrainguy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:57 pm Any difference in running with the front pantograph up vs. the rear one?
Negative, but rear pan up will be the norm, I suppose for the reasons listed in the post above mine. It also features a “de-ice” mode where both pans will be up, but the leading pan will not draw power so it can knock ice off the line without arcing.
 #1544512  by NaugyRR

I wonder what made them go with a two-tone Euro-style horn