Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak and Asset Tracking

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1485913  by WesternNation

I was in a business presentation earlier today, going over how to create and use LinkedIn correctly. During the actual "work" segment of the workshop, I came across an advertisement for Verizon Connect, which provides asset-tracking software to companies that allows service companies to keep track of their assets. I was wondering if Amtrak used such a system. I know that freight railroads use something similar, I believe using some sort of RFID technology, but I've never seen that equipment used for Amtrak.

I know that Amtrak currently uses some sort of GPS to track their trains (that's why we have TransitDocs), but I feel that management can take it a step further. Asset-tracking software can do more than just tell you where an asset is. It can also tell you how that asset is functioning. Airlines use a version of this already, with onboard computers keeping maintenance staff up-to-date on the condition of the aircraft's systems as well as its airspeed, heading, altitude, etc. Apply this same system to Amtrak, and the maintenance staff is instantly notified of malfunctioning engines or cars, each with a unique identifier that would not only identify exactly which car but could potentially pull up the service history of said car to investigate whether or not the car has had the issue frequently or potentially previous work that contributed to or even caused the failure.

Granted, it is a little late for Amtrak to be installing anything like this into the current fleet, but it is something that Amtrak could benefit from if the investment is made (if it hasn't been made already).
 #1543833  by Tadman

In a job past, I made a pitch to a VP about this. We were considering it for locomotives and cars based on a trial on station equipment at a big terminal. The trial wasn't approved to start before the company went under.

I considered it a really good idea. The app had a human component that would've allowed on-board personnel to note an error such as a bad toilet or door, theoretically allowing maintenance personnel at a larger station like Denver or Philly to meet the train and fix or mitigate problems during layover or once moving again.

It wouldn't allow bigger problems like a hotbox to be solved, but a bum coffee maker in a lounge car or PA microphone in a vestibule might be swapped during motor change at Washington or layover at Pontiac or Grand Rapids.
 #1543837  by Railjunkie

A lot of this can be accomplished off the the conductors device, plus there is still the old school paper reports too. The cars all have RFID tags just like there freight cousins. If you are really in a pickle you can always call CNOC and talk the the proper department for the issue at hand.
 #1543838  by Greg Moore

Not exactly this, but it was on an Amtrak train that I came up with my idea for QuiCR (see link in my .sig).
The idea that passengers could report issues from their seat. Had at least one meeting with Amtrak, but then issues came up.

I should try again.
 #1543929  by daybeers

It would be absolutely fantastic to be able to report a problem inside the Amtrak app. Most people wouldn't care enough to call Amtrak or notify a staff member on board, but would be happy to submit a short form inside the app, maybe even with a picture. Broken outlet, curtain, seat recliner, dirty bathroom, etc. It would make sure a ticket was created and could notify the appropriate staff. Maybe Amtrak could hire another staff member like they do to monitor their Instagram and Twitter accounts and that person could route the tickets to where they need to go. If there's a dirty bathroom, an en-route cleaner could be dispatched or another member of the OBS crew could be notified. If there's a broken outlet, it gets sent to maintenance for the next time it's in the shop or large terminal. If it's a big enough issue like HVAC, that car could be scheduled to be set out before its next run.

This would take a lot of backend departmental organization that Amtrak doesn't presently have, but I really don't think this is very far-fetched.
 #1543978  by Tadman

Problem is you'd have to put someone who cares and can execute at the other end of the app. Try emailing Amtrak about an issue now. Good luck. If they pay $1m for a cool app then do the same crap follow up...
 #1543993  by STrRedWolf

Mproof's Epicor ITSM and IBM's MAXIMO.

MAXIMO is currently quirky as all hell get out -- I used this with MTA Maryland.

Epicor is what is being used at my current job (no longer in transit but eh). Lets just say, Mproof giving folks the ability to alter the software will be very useful if Amtrak ever uses it.
 #1544030  by west point

Many of the airlines have a fault isolation protocol. Essentially you follow a fault code tree until you get to a usually 6 - 8 digit code. Code is transmitted to next maintenance station . Maintenance runs up to aircraft and follows problem to swap out a part if able or do more maintenance. Especially for filling various fluids.
Now many airlines have automimic reporting of some problems with crews using this system to notify more.