Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Seating Discussion: Assigned, First-Come, Reserved, Unreserved, Standees

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1543643  by bdawe

my understanding is that Coast Starlight "Business class" is a low level coach seat with a drink voucher. It's practically an anti-amenity
 #1543727  by bdawe

David Benton wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:51 pm I think thats because business class was in the parlor car , now retired , with no replacement.
The parlour car wasn't business class, it was not a revenue car.
 #1543729  by David Benton

bdawe wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:05 pm
David Benton wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:51 pm I think thats because business class was in the parlor car , now retired , with no replacement.
The parlour car wasn't business class, it was not a revenue car.
In its final days , the movie theatre downstairs was removed , and made business class seating. Come to think of it , maybe is was just proposed , maybe it didnt happen as it was only proposed a few months before they wee axed ???
 #1544498  by Jeff Smith

https://www.timesunion.com/business/art ... 303172.php
RENSSELAER — Assigned seating could soon come to more Amtrak trains. The feature, long standard on airplanes and already offered in first class on Acela and business class on Northeast Regional trains, is seen as one way to implement social distancing in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic.
"We are working on options to expand assigned seating and reserved travel," Amtrak spokesman Jason Abrams said in response to a question from the Times Union. "In addition, we are limiting bookings, allowing customers to spread out for physical distancing."
Amtrak first offered seat selection on Acela in February 2018, expanding it to business class seats on Northeast Regional trains this past January. Both services operate along the Northeast Corridor between Boston and Washington, D.C.

Amtrak described the seat assignment feature as popular with passengers. On the busy Empire Corridor between Albany and New York City, passengers boarding in Hudson and Rhinecliff often are forced to sit apart from their traveling companions. Seat assignments would alleviate that, as well as the rush at Albany-Rensselaer to grab the prime seats with views of the Hudson River.
 #1544504  by Gilbert B Norman

Amtrak assigned seating must have diagrams available for pre-selection as do both airlines and Brightline.

This would be a "one up" from overseas where in my experience, SNCF, RENFE, DB, and OBB, "don't always give you best available".
 #1544543  by palmland

I wonder if the probable need for social distancing to continue for the foreseeable will cause Amtrak to rethink their seating procedures on LD trains, with or without assigned seating.

I often ride the Palmetto from South Carolina. It has 4 coaches in addition to business class car, cafe, and baggage. I guess for crew convenience, not all coaches are available for passenger seating. I hope that practice is changed and passengers are encouraged, if not required, to spread out to all coaches. Assigned seating would certainly make that process easier. Because of increased passenger loads north of Richmond I suspect the Palmetto and other trains will require additional coaches. Of course that assumes people start riding trains again!
 #1598021  by Bob Roberts

I was just booking a ticket on the Carolinian for my wife and, much to my surprise, Amtrak had reserved her a specific seat. Even more surprising, the web site gave an option to change the seat as well.

This was in business class for an off corridor trip next week.

There was no option for assigned seats in BC on the Lincoln trains two weeks ago.

Feels like progress.
 #1599387  by R36 Combine Coach

Rockingham Racer wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:20 am "First class" is now used only next to the word "Acela".
In the 1990s some regionals did have first class (known as "club class"). These were through Boston-Washington-
Virginia trains with three classes: coach, business (custom) and first (club).

The Metroliners also used the "club" name for first class (originally parlor car MUs 880-889).
 #1599477  by Ken W2KB

palmland wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:44 am I wonder if the probable need for social distancing to continue for the foreseeable will cause Amtrak to rethink their seating procedures on LD trains, with or without assigned seating.
Mid this past December I traveled to the World Science Fiction Convention in Washington, DC. Newark, NJ to DC by Silver Star coach, no assigned seat, which was about 80% full, no social distancing. Return several days later was by Acela business class with assigned seating. The Acela was full or close thereto. There was no mention of or attempt by Amtrak to encourage social distancing.
 #1599499  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Daybeers, your immediate is noted.

What it does prompt, however, is the realization that even though COVID has hardly gone away, the attitude of "We The People of the World" towards such has significantly changed.

What Mr. Palmland noted during the height of the pandemic seems to be much less the case today, I think there is realization that the virus is endemic and that "We The People" should accept that and "just live with it".

Anyone in North America and Western Europe who chooses to lessen the severity of a possible infection has now done so by VAX. Annual "Boosters" will attempt to identify the viral strains expected to be active and tailor such to address them just as does the annual flu shot.

Now the last major mask mandate - air travelers arriving from Overseas - has come down; travel by any means within the USA has been "normalized".

In short, just like the airlines, Amtrak will become "fill 'em up".