Railroad Forums 

• All things Pennsylvanian AND Keystone West

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1518672  by WhartonAndNorthern

MACTRAXX wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:04 pm
STrRedWolf wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:50 am
WhartonAndNorthern wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:24 am *=years ago we had a book on how to speak like a Pittsburgher. "Sahside," "Dahntahn," "Gyant Iggle," "worsh yer hands," "yinz," "slippy," "go and redd up," etc.
I have a friend in nearby Greensburg that can confirm the book is still accurate.
W&N and RW: Yes-there is at least one book written about the Pittsburgh accent titled:
"Sam McCool's New Pittsburghese - How to speak like a Pittsburgher" (released July 31, 1982)
I have a copy in storage someplace...
That's the one. It's at my mom's house still!
 #1518726  by ExCon90

Just today I saw a photo of the Pennsylvanian at the platform in Pittsburgh, and the overall roof is in place over the tracks--(unless it's been removed over the two northernmost tracks?) Not nearly high enough to clear double-stacks; it makes me wonder why they would want to improve clearances on the North Side if the only way they can get stacks there is via the Conemaugh--I think the preferred route is via the Pittsburgh mainline, and that means via the Port Perry and Mon branches, the way they do it now.
 #1520364  by ThirdRail7

Now that the Viewliner bag/dorms are entering service, some of the baggage cars have been freed up. Starting next month, the Pennsylvanian will operate with a baggage car. Walk up bike service/baggage lite will be available at some of the stations. I believe this will be the first time baggage service has been available at HAR since the Broadway and the associated mail work was removed.
 #1520365  by STrRedWolf

ThirdRail7 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:45 pm Now that the Viewliner bag/dorms are entering service, some of the baggage cars have been freed up. Starting next month, the Pennsylvanian will operate with a baggage car. Walk up bike service/baggage lite will be available at some of the stations. I believe this will be the first time baggage service has been available at HAR since the Broadway and the associated mail work was removed.
Do we have a list of stations that will have it? What about low-platform, full-length stations like Pittsburgh?
 #1520387  by rcthompson04

STrRedWolf wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:01 pm
ThirdRail7 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:45 pm Now that the Viewliner bag/dorms are entering service, some of the baggage cars have been freed up. Starting next month, the Pennsylvanian will operate with a baggage car. Walk up bike service/baggage lite will be available at some of the stations. I believe this will be the first time baggage service has been available at HAR since the Broadway and the associated mail work was removed.
Do we have a list of stations that will have it? What about low-platform, full-length stations like Pittsburgh?
I am curious how this will impact the already half hour late on average on time performance.
 #1520415  by gokeefe

Wow, that's really great news. There are very few state supported routes that operate with baggage service.
 #1520428  by Suburban Station

gokeefe wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:55 pm
Wow, that's really great news. There are very few state supported routes that operate with baggage service.
I suspect it will be more bikes than bags but I'm happy to see a bike option
 #1520610  by BmSmall14

The baggage car will definitely have more bags than bikes. As it is now there are multiple oversized bags cuz they’re coming from the Capitol. Thanksgiving week alone with all the college students with their giant bags may alleviate room for people with smaller luggage.

From what Ive heard the stops with redcaps and baggage facilities will offer checked baggage.
 #1520612  by STrRedWolf

So that would be...
  • New York Penn
  • Newark, NJ
  • Philly 30th Street, PA
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Well, that makes partial sense. To be honest, I could see Harrisburg and Lancaster as well. Pittsburgh really needs a raised platform, though. They probably have a lift truck to get all the luggage off.

Still, checked luggage to Pittsburgh in a dedicated car is welcome.
 #1520644  by gokeefe

This really is a big step forward. Interesting way for Amtrak to compete with airlines take away even more of their regional business. The airlines opened the door by turning baggage into a revenue stream.
 #1520666  by Greg Moore

I really look forward to more trains with baggage service.
One of my biggest gripes right now is from Albany to points south, there's currently no easy way to get baggage, such as a bike onto LD trains like the Crescent, etc without delivering putting it on a SB LSL the day before.
 #1520687  by R36 Combine Coach

gokeefe wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:22 pm I will not be at all surprised if the Adirondack and the Maple Leaf get checked baggage service.
The latter might be subject to border security regulations. When the Adirondack had its dedicated baggage car, all baggage had to be on the same train as the passenger (no shipping the luggage on an earlier or later train for example). No express or LCL pallet shipments at Montreal (same applies to Cascades at Vancouver).
 #1520790  by east point

Some one outside our group suggested that the major baggage station have some kind of container that the baggage person could sort out and into for other heavy stations. A fork lift could raise the container in and out speeding up station dwell. Personal experience notes that our ATL station would be a good location on the Crescent.baggage