Railroad Forums 

• CQ, CQ, Calling all RR.Net Amateur Radio (Ham) operators!

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#135824  by thmitch

Hi, I have been lurkering here on the forums for bit now and figured I should check in. I have found it interesting how many hams are also railfans. I'm Terry, WD9FTP from Bolingbrook, Will county, Illinois.

73's
Terry

#135992  by w2fo

W2FO Red live across street from ogden mine rr inactive ham right now but held ticket since 1960 main interest rail trails im still mtn biking at 70

#155647  by pgengler

I just passed the Element 2 (Technician) exam today, so I should be licensed before too long. After that, I'll probably be mostly on the 2m band in the Long Island/NYC area with some forays back into NJ for watching trains. Not to mention that I'll be able to tote my scanner around me with here in NY.

#155976  by pgengler

And just to update, the FCC's got me listed in ULS, so now I'm KC2ONL. I should be getting a radio within the next few days.

#158589  by w2dsx

Congratulations on getting your ticket Phil! You're in a great area for both Amateur Radio, scanning and railfanning also. If you have any questions about any of the above, don't hesitate to drop an email, I might be able to help... [email protected]

Once again, congratulations and welcome!

73, Jim w2dsx

#159044  by Ken W2KB

pgengler wrote:And just to update, the FCC's got me listed in ULS, so now I'm KC2ONL. I should be getting a radio within the next few days.
Congratualtions, Phil!

73, ---Ken W2KB

#173461  by K3CXG

Mike, K3CXG checking into the net from toothless Frederick, Maryland. I've been a ham since 1981 and a railfan since God invented trains. I was a member of the old Chesapeake Division, Railroad Enthusiasts for about 20 years. Currently radio-active only on 2M FM, although I have rigs for 10 SSB and 6 SSB. My favorite railroads are anything in the Northeastern US and eastern Canada; however, I'm especially partial to Western Maryland Railway, rest her soul.

Hope to work all of you in the future!

73, Mike
 #189994  by bat@grumman

I'm KE2LJ. Name is Pat, and I am a long time president of the Grumman Amateur Radio Club. I'm 59, live in Dix Hills NY, and have worked at Grumman, Bethpage for 34 years. My building is right on the LIRR tracks abutting the south platform of the Bethpage station.
I have been a Ham since 1961, and a railfan longer.. -pat

#196048  by va3ori

Gee; planes, trains and amateur radio. Does it get any better? :-)

73, Ori
VA3ORI - VA3XW
 #196169  by pgengler

bat@grumman wrote:I'm KE2LJ. Name is Pat, and I am a long time president of the Grumman Amateur Radio Club. I'm 59, live in Dix Hills NY, and have worked at Grumman, Bethpage for 34 years. My building is right on the LIRR tracks abutting the south platform of the Bethpage station.
I have been a Ham since 1961, and a railfan longer.. -pat
I probably met you in August when I took my test; I'm horrible at remembering names, though.
 #197518  by K3CXG

VA3ORI:

Maybe throw in a six-pack of Molson's!

Mike K3CXG

#198912  by va3ori

Well, with this crowd, I'll need at least a two-four! :-)

Tell y'all what. Should we ever get together somewhere to swap slides and tall tales, I'll bring some of our brew to help things along. We've got some microbreweries up here that show up Molsons and the like as the swill they are!! Just MHO...

To keep this on a railway topic; there's a VIA locomotive advertising Budweiser. Whoopie...

vy 73 es gud holidays,
Ori
va3ori - va3xw

#199163  by va3ori

A propos to nothing at all, I thought I'd do a little survey of those of us who have identified ourselves as "railhams."

1. 25 RAILROAD.NET members have identified themselves as hams. There are more out there, I'm sure!

2. Over 1/3 live in New York State. The stats are:
NY 9
NJ 4
MD 3
and one each from:
MI, OH, MA, KY, CA, IN, IL, TX, and of course ON!

3. There is only one member who lives outside the USA - yeah, yeah, I can toot my own horn!! :-)

4. Railhams are amongst the nicest people on earth. No scientific data to back that up, of course, just a personal observation!

I was going to break down the membership by license class, but who really cares? What matters is that we are here, together, and that's really it. So let's all have a great New Year and keep posting to RRDOTNET.

cheers, Ori
va3ori - va3xw

#200422  by n2qhvRMLI

Happy New Year!

I'm with you Ori, no need to worry about license class
:-D

Just enjoy each others company and lend a hand wherever we can as all good Ehlmers should. Congratulations to all who received their ticket in 2005. Welcome aboard to Pat from Grumann's Bethpage. Many engineers and Grummanites are active members of the Railroad Museum of Long Island. Stop by and say Hi! Encouragement and kudos to all those who will get their ticket in 2006!

A thought on the antenna comments in the other thread. (I should post this paragraph there!) Figure the length of the two pieces of wire specific to the railroad frequencies you want to listen to in your neighborhood, (around 15.5 inches is good). Get a simple SO-239 connector from Radio Shack, (maybe $2.50 if that much), and a length of coax to run to your radio. Solder one length of wire to the center lead of the SO-239. The other length of wire gets soldered to the SO-239's case. Hang it vertically in your attic, up among the ridge and rafters, run the coax down to your radio and I'll bet you'll hear everyting you want to hear. Cheep too :-D

73 de Don, N2QHV

#211493  by Terminal Proceed

I will be taking the element 2 exam tomorrow morning. We'll see...

Kevin