Railroad Forums 

• What portable radio

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#1071802  by DutchRailnut

What portable radio does your railroad use as main stay crew radio.
on Metro North they use the Motorola HT 1250 for example.
 #1072815  by Ken W2KB

kitn1mcc wrote:the 1250 is a popular radio amtrak has a lot in service

amtrak is also using this icom radio http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/ ... fault.aspx

seeing how they are looking to go IDAS (mistake)

still a few ht1000 seeing how the ht1000 will do narrow band on some models
Out of curiosity, why do you view IDAS a/k/a NXDN as a mistake? AAR recommends that all railroads acquire NXDN capable radios in the mandatory narrowband transition so that the railroads will be ready for the next step of digital without a need for yet again another radio replacement if and when it is mandated by the FCC, or if it makes sense to increase capability from a business standpoint. Also, quite some time back Dutch if I recall correctly, pointed out that locomotives often are used by or operated over foreign roads so need to have uniformly compatible radios.
 #1073051  by kitn1mcc

actually the FCC may not require the next step to digital. plus NXDN is not an open format. they would Be better off going the DMR route or keep it analog. the XPR are great radios and DMR is a great. the icom stuff is junk i have played with it and not impressed
 #1073173  by CarterB

I must respectfully DISAGREE. I-Com makes VERY good radios, durable, good quality sound, dust, shock and moisture resistant.
IMHO, I-Com is right up there with Kenwood and Motorola. I should know, I have been a two way radio dealer for all three for over 15 years.