Railroad Forums 

• Digital Video Tips

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#834628  by MR77100

I have not adjusted well to the digital video. After shooting railroads for 11 years with a Sony 8mm Handycam, I am trying to adapt to the use of a Sony HD miniDV handycam DCR-HC28. There are more toys with this model, although they seem to do little to correct my main issue of focusing on a moving train. When I shot video with the 8mm, I used manual focus on a passing train, and the result was even the numbers under the cab being clear! But this is a not the case with the hc28. Would autofocus work better? Also, would an infared light help with low-light conditions? Does anyone else have the same issues I have had?
 #838461  by TheJollyRailfan

Modern day manual focusing in cameras usually is pretty bad unless there is an actual focus ring on the lens. Its not your fault, its just the industry standard. I suggest you give autofocus a try! The AF systems are very sophisticated and always keep focus on whats in the center of the frame and very simple: just point and shoot!

Some cameras just wont work naturally without additional lighting. It all depends on sensor size and lens aperture. For low light situations you can use a spotlight to brighten up the situations or look more into infared lighting. Unfortunately infared isnt to my knowledge.
 #838511  by MR77100

Thanks for the tip. I will try to autofocus, and there is an infared light for this model. It is available for about $50 on ebay so it is worth a shot. If you have any more suggestions, please let me know.