Railroad Forums 

• Safety First!

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#810133  by Travelsonic

chen1234 wrote:...you've got to be aware of your surroundings when you're out on the tracks with your camera.
Something that is rare to begin with [actually being on the tracks themselves], barring certain circumstances [RR museum, or special fan trip related circumstances, etc], but the message is still true. Safety first always.
 #810258  by justalurker66

OK ... first the obvious comment - "train barely avoids man" - the train did no such thing. It stayed on the rails and did nothing that avoided an accident.

I don't know how he wasn't hit by that train. It must have only missed him by inches. It was certainly a bad situation ... platforms full of people there for the steam train and no real warning of the approaching train on the other track (with steam obscuring vision once the first train passed). Other than the train horns I didn't hear any other warning on the video and by the time you hear them it is too late.

I don't want to see the railroad brought to a stop for the passage of a special train but the railroad must understand the extra danger involved.