Railroad Forums 

• What's wrong with this scanner?

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#804094  by Montrealrail

Did have you tried with some other pics?
If it's the same results with another picture,that could be the scanner that giving his last works before to be unusable..
If with a more clear picture,the same thing happens,should expectif to buy a new one,or replace it if it's still over garanty..

The model I can recommand,it's in Canon branch..They made some 3 in one,so you get a scanner,a printer and a fax with the same machine..and picture quality are much better..
 #824801  by CPSK

It could be "copy protection" on the photo, the scanner, or its driver.
I have seen similar results when trying to scan a photo I purchased from NYRR after completing my 1st NYC marathon. Since the photos were taken by a professional, and sold to me, they didn't want anyone making copies of them. I'm not sure what is is in the photo that messes with the scanner.

That said, if it's an old scanner, the lamp or CCD may be just wearing out. I wouldn't waste money trying to fix it, since a new scanner that is faster and higher quality and doesn't cost all that much.
Try scanning other photos and images. If they all look similarly bad, then buy a new scanner. I like the Canon brand as well. Seems to be good quality, and decent software. Also, high-speed USB will make a huge difference in scanning speed, assuming that your PC has USB 2.0 capability.

FW