Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA Timelapse

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#736122  by HangarRat

I made a timelapse video of SEPTA's Center City commuter mainline from the portal of the Center City tunnel to 30th Street Station at dusk. You can see a dozen or so trains pass this stretch of track in 30 seconds. Meanwhile you can see traffic whizzing by on JFK Boulevard and the sky turning purple and orange in the background.

The vantage point was a parking garage at 20th Street and JFK Blvd.

I used a Nikon D200 with a 24 mm lens on a tripod taking photos at 3 second intervals. The exposure was 1.6 seconds in shutter priority mode. The f-stop ranged from f/14 at the beginning to f/4 at the end. If I did this again, I would probably bump the ISO up to 200 or 400 to keep the f-stop higher, but it worked out OK.

It's not typical railfan photography, but I thought members here might get a kick out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6N9GN4vYyY

Make sure you watch it in HD. Enjoy.