Railroad Forums 

• Tips on Shooting at Night

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#679265  by trainlvr7

Triker wrote:Ive only taken a few night shots so i am learning....I was happy with the photo in the link but i was wondering why the red lights and number lights were blurred, the train was stopped and i was useing a tripod 13 sec - iso 100 -f9 Any suggestions?

Heres a link to the photo: http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... =1&key=tom

Great Photo, Came out awsome for first picture
 #680069  by Chessie GM50

Im assuming that you're using an SLR the Mirror slap can cause weak tripods to giggle.

If you're really into the night stuff, buy a fast prime lens, like a 50mm f/1.8. They are relatively cheap.
 #681739  by Chessie GM50

pennsy wrote:And don't forget the locking cable release and stop watch.
If you shoot nikon, my little $14 Nikon Remote Release works better than the Cable releases. Up to 50 feet (or so) actually...
 #716243  by bender

Quick Question. After spending many nights watching trains exiting the Hoosac tunnel, I've decided I would like to get a pic of that. My only concern would be the camera flash surprising/bother the train crew. Something I'd rather not do. Any words of advice?
 #716247  by 3rdrail

Use a tripod w/ a cable release & w/o a flash.
 #716251  by bender

Thanks, I'll try that. If I get anything good I'll post it.
 #716752  by Ken W2KB

If shooting at a paved area, such as a platform or grade crossing, shoot on a rainy night. The wet pavement reflects light and can yield a spectacular photo. Movie/TV crews often hose down an area before the shoot for that reason.
 #718258  by mxdata

A little fog on a rainy night provides a nice effect too, to illuminate the headlight trace.

MX
 #878195  by Tracer

Has anyone here taken "action" shots with a flash at night? If so what type of flash do you use?

I've only taken a few night shots w/out the flash and I know very little about flash photography.

Thanks in advance
 #878209  by 3rdrail

I've used a Phoenix 100 DZA strobe for nighttime or enclosed shooting, but only for static subjects that aren't moving and have limited dimensions. I find that often times with artificial lighting, you wind up with areas of importance that are in the dark. Another feature that I often try to use is ambient light showing in the photo. With a strobe, this often gets washed out. I linked this photo that I took at Wonderland Station many years ago as an example. I like the look of the warm interior light of the Pullman and marker lights showing. If I had used a strobe in this shot, they would most likely have been severely diminished or not visible at all, and there would have been more of a blue cast. I think the warmer tone adds to the shot also. As a result, I almost always shoot with "available light" only, even if I'm dangerously below my camera's light meter (as was the case with these shots). Ideally, I have a tripod nearby (these were hand held which I almost always do), good fast film, have a learned technique for keeping my body, breathing, and camera still, and enough ambient light to make it work...and be damned with strobes !
http://photos.greatrails.net/showpic/?2 ... d&BOOL=ANY
 #879110  by Tracer

I am pretty comfortable taking "stationary" shots at night w/out the flash. Along as i have a tripod i can leave the shutter open for along as i need for the camera to grab light. This works well for me.

There are a few spots near me were the train moves at about 10mph, so i was thinking of possibly setting up 1 or 2 remote(or is it called a slave flash?) along with the flash on the camera to get the shot. I've seen remote flashes on ebay for as cheap as $20. I would use a tripod. I know you dont like the using the flash but i still need more light to make a half decent picture.

I was thinking of becoming a vampire and start taking photos at night. Its hard finding time during the day when you have kids.
 #879675  by justalurker66

Triker wrote:Has anyone here taken "action" shots with a flash at night? If so what type of flash do you use?

I've only taken a few night shots w/out the flash and I know very little about flash photography.
I very rarely use my flash, day or night. Unless my camera complains that the flash is needed I get better shots without it (and no annoying flash in people's eyes or drawing attention to the photographer).

That no annoying flash thing is particularly important if the engineer or other train crew who's eyes are adjusted for darkness are in range of the flash.

There is also the question of the range of the flash. I see these stadium events with thousands of flashes going off in the crowd knowing that there is no hope of their flash lighting the subject hundreds of feet away. All it does is confuse the camera in to thinking that it might have enough light (and add to the ambiance). I was in DC a couple of years ago taking pictures of the monuments at night and watching people make the same mistakes with flash photos - getting overly lit people in front of a black or very dim background. At least with digital cameras they knew they were getting junk.

The only time a flash has helped one of my nightime photos is below ...
I wanted to show the gap between the platform and a freight train at a station with a high platform and gauntlet tracks. I happened to catch a train at the station unplanned so it was a quick shot. I took a couple without the flash as well with the longer exposure making the train blurry. (A nice effect but I like the lit shot better.)
 #880360  by Finch

For long exposures at night, it can be a tricky balance to keep the headlights from blowing out your shot if the train is coming at you. I like to shoot in the direction the train is traveling instead. That way, the headlights illuminate the ROW for a nice effect, without being too bright and overwhelming the shot. See below.

This shot was also helped out by a few street lights in the area. Like others have said above, I find almost no use for a flash in night shots. Ambient light just looks a lot better.
 #881987  by Cadguru

I shoot Olympus with f2 glass and rarely go down that much for nightime photography.
Although iso on my gear is bad above 1600, stop down and get more depth of field that you lose at 1.8 and f2.0

Instead of using a flash set a slow shutter speed and wash the train with a flashlight, etc. (non moving ones)