Railroad Forums 

• FILM and Digital SLR Compatability

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#34972  by bwparker1

I have had an offer for a Christmas present that may be an SLR camera. I know that the two biggest players in the Digital SLR game are Canon and Nikon. I have a couple questions

1) Do either Canon or Nikon Digital SLR's accept regular old 35mm Lenses from the respective manufacturer?

2) What is the cost of a Digital SLR these days (Ballpark cost) and is that with or without a lense?

3) Does anyone use Digital and 35mm Cameras and intercahnge the same lenses?

My thinking is I won't be able to afford a digital SLR right now, and I have a sony 4 MP camera, which isn't great but it will work for digital pics. I am interested in getting a nice regular film SLR but something that I can get lenses for that I can transfer to a digital SLR once they come down in price and I am more interested in owning one.

Thanks for any advice,
Brooks
 #35015  by MikeF

bwparker1 wrote:1) Do either Canon or Nikon Digital SLR's accept regular old 35mm Lenses from the respective manufacturer?
Yes, Canon digital SLR's accept "regular old" Canon autofocus lenses, while Nikon digitals accept most Nikkor F-mount manual and autofocus lenses. Because the digital camera's CCD is smaller than a 35 mm film frame, there is usually about a 1.5x magnification factor -- that is, a 50 mm lens effectively becomes about a 75 mm lens on a digital SLR.
bwparker1 wrote:2) What is the cost of a Digital SLR these days (Ballpark cost) and is that with or without a lense?
Prices vary greatly. Lower-end models can be purchased in the $600-900 range (lens usually not included), while top-shelf professional models will set you back several thousand dollars.
bwparker1 wrote:3) Does anyone use Digital and 35mm Cameras and intercahnge the same lenses?
I don't, but lots of people do. Just remember the magnification factor I mentioned above.
bwparker1 wrote:I am interested in getting a nice regular film SLR but something that I can get lenses for that I can transfer to a digital SLR once they come down in price and I am more interested in owning one.
Sounds like a good plan. Good luck and have fun.

#35780  by Ken W2KB

A contender for digital SLR is the Pentax *ist. There is also a 35mm film ist and the lenses may be compatible.

#36125  by bwparker1

Ken,

what is the refernce to the *ist?

Also thank you MikeF for the info on Canon and Nikon compatibility. Can anyone compare between the two, specifically shutter lag and focus. Those are my two major complaints with the current Sony DSC-S85 I own now.

Thanks,
Brooks

#36559  by MikeF

Shutter lag is negligable in nearly all digital SLR's. I don't think you'll find it to be a problem in either Nikon or Canon models.

With regard to focus, Canon's autofocus system is generally regarded as being more advanced than Nikon's, but either one is good enough for most purposes. If you prefer manual focus sometimes, you may find Nikon's system more convenient. The best way to decide is to go to the camera store and try them out.

#41527  by XBNSFer

The Pentax *istD can be used with all Pentax K mount lenses that are "KA" mount or newer, that is, those with the "A" on the aperture ring for aperture priority auto exposure. The aperture ring is set on A and the aperture can then be manually adjusted for manual exposure with the camera's aperture wheel control (a similar control adjusts shutter speeds). The older K mount lenses (the "M" mount lenses with no electronic interface) can also be used but with some restrictions (wide open only, with a special function being set). There is a firmware upgrade that might allow closing down, but it won't show exposures or meter (i.e., at best a completely manual/estimated or handheld metering). With the KA or newer K Mount lenses (i.e., all autofocus lenses in K Mount as well as all manual focus KA mount), you can have full metered manual (my preference) or you choice of shutter priority, aperture priority or program modes, and if you're using autofocus, you can have that too. Me, I've got a complete system of KA manual focus lenses and can use the whole array with the *istD (just got one to play with, not that I'm going to replace my LX's and Kodachrome!).

The Pentax system is as close to full backwards compatability as you're going to find in a digital SLR. Canon is the worst, since their manual focus lenses don't even fit their 35mm autofocus SLR's much less their digital SLR's. With the Pentax, you can use any KA or newer manual focus lens, and any K Mount autofocus lens as well.

Nothing like not being forced to buy a whole new collection of lenses :D