Railroad Forums 

• Question - getting started with a digital SLR camera

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#239262  by RailBus63

All right - I've read numerous threads expressing the wonders of digital photography, and how some people consider us film photographers to be wasting money on a dying technology. So let's say I'm interested in exploring the jump to digital SLR photography. I currently own a Nikon film autofocus SLR with a decent 35-70mm zoom lens - a typical middle of the road camera that does everything I need it to do. How much would I have to shell out for a DSLR outfit that offers immediate response (no 'digital lag'), produces sharp photos, and meets the typical railfan's needs on a two to three-day photography excursion? I'm talking the complete set-up - batteries (taking into account that I live in New York State and do engage in winter photography), sufficient memory to store 200 or more images, etc. Are any of the low-priced DSLR's (Canon Digital Rebel, Nikon D50) up to the task?

Jim D.
 #239307  by LIL BUDDY

Yes...the Nikon D50 should be a great choice (and I'm not a camera salesperson). especially if you've already got some Nikon "stuff". Lots of good info below, esp. on the D50/D70 forum.

www.dpreview.com

#239313  by pgengler

I've never used any Nikon cameras, but from what I've read, their offerings are generally on the same level as Canon. I have a Canon Digital Rebel and don't have any major complaints about it, so I'd bet that the Nikon D50 would work out well as an entry-level choice. It's already been mentioned, but in your case, I'd go with the Nikon since you (probably) already have Nikon lenses, and you can use them with the D50 too.

When it comes to memory, the camera won't be your limiting factor; it depends on the size of the memory card you use. I have a 512MB card for my Digital Rebel, and it gets between 100 and 150 images (more or less) in the highest-quality JPEG mode. There are 1GB cards that would get roughly double that, and if you need more storage, there are Microdrives (small hard drives) that I believe go up to 4GB (though these are much slower for read/write, so if you do burst shooting, these aren't the best choice).

#239333  by kevikens

Again I too recommend the Nikon D-50. I went from film to digital last year, first with an Olympus point and shoot and then to Nikon D-50 and D-70s to use my Nikkor lenses. The D-50 will let you shoot and store some 290 pictures at the fine setting with the 1 giga byte memory card, about $85, and it's easy to master the controls, especially if you have been using the N series AF cameras. The set up is very similar. You can get the D-50 body at Ritz camera for about $600 and you will be surprised at how much you will save by not developing and printing all those film pictures.

#239387  by Fred G

I second the advice to purchase a Nikon D50 back so you can use your existing Nikon lenses; otherwise the Canon is also quite good. I use a D70 and find that a fully charged battery will last all day with shutting the camera off between shoot periods. I carry a spare anyway to thwart Murphy's Law (right).

I have a 2 GB microdrive because I wanted to try it out, plus there weren't 2 GB SD cards at the time. I haven't noticed any delay in burst mode over SD, but if I were to do this again, I'd go with a 2 GB SD card (why introduce moving parts if you don't have to?). 2 gigs gets me 589 2000 x 3000 jpg images, which is a lot more than I need for a day. I once shot 550 or so photos one day last summer in Boston, and by the end I was tired of taking photos. More storage is helpful if you want to use RAW mode, which is a much larger file than jpg, so less images stored.

Someone mentioned Ritz; I'd check out B&H also. Good luck, whatever you decide, and happy shooting.

#240663  by scannergeek

Personally, I would not use a microdrive. Since they are a mini hard drive, there are moving parts inside which are sensitive to shock. You never know when you will have an "oops" moment.

Most memory cards are subjected to extreme forces-I think SanDisk tests cards the equivalent of dropping them from a 15-story building.

Even though I shoot full-size RAW images, I limit my card size to 1 GB. I'm paranoid, and reason that if a card goes bad, at least my whole trip documentary isn't completely wiped out.

I also always shoot full-size, even though all my pictures are going to be resized for web use. The more data you have going into processing/refining the pictures, the better. You can always crop/resize to a smaller picture and retain the quality, but you can not do so going to a larger picture. So always shoot the largest size your camera can handle. Photoshop does a much better job at scaling pictures; the camera's little brain just isn't up to the task.

#241109  by Fred G

I agree that a ram card is more durable than a microdrive and would recommend using one.

#241958  by trainiac

I've also heard very good things about the Nikon D50; chances are it would be what I would get if I were to switch completely to digital. However, due to various reasons involving long-term image storage, image quality and camera durability (my first digital died after less than 2 years) I'm currently 100% film and will be for the forseeable future.

#242128  by MEC407

trainiac wrote:However, due to various reasons involving long-term image storage, image quality and camera durability (my first digital died after less than 2 years) I'm currently 100% film and will be for the forseeable future.
A friend of mine had a Canon Rebel SLR (the film Rebel, not the digital Rebel) that died about a month after the one-year warranty expired. It can happen with both mediums. :(

I love my Nikon EM, circa 1977. It hasn't failed me yet and I plan on keeping it forever... but I do hope to snag a D50 or D70s when the prices come down a little bit more.

#242466  by trainiac

A friend of mine had a Canon Rebel SLR (the film Rebel, not the digital Rebel) that died about a month after the one-year warranty expired. It can happen with both mediums. Sad

I love my Nikon EM, circa 1977. It hasn't failed me yet and I plan on keeping it forever... but I do hope to snag a D50 or D70s when the prices come down a little bit more.
The digital that died was a Canon Powershot S45. It took fantastic pictures until the dreaded "E18" error came up. Type "Canon E18" into Google and you'll get over 150,000 matches. It's a major problem with Canon digitals, but I haven't heard of any such occurance with Nikons. My film camera is a Chinon GS-7--a rare and unusual automatic SLR from around 1990.

#242470  by MEC407

Gosh, I'd forgotten all about Chinon! They were pretty big in the late '80s. The GS-7 looks similar to the point&shoot SLRs that Olympus was making throughout the '90s.

KEH.com has a GS-7 in "excellent" condition for $3.99. Not a bad deal! :-D

#243026  by RailBus63

MEC407 wrote:I love my Nikon EM, circa 1977. It hasn't failed me yet and I plan on keeping it forever...
Same here - I bought mine in 1981. In recent years I've kept it loaded with 200-speed film while I shot Kodachrome 64 with my newer N6006, but I currently have a roll of K64 in the EM while I'm trying out Elite Chrome 100 in the newer camera.

Jim D.

#281404  by Terrapin Station

The Nikon D80 was just announced, so prices for the Nikon D70s should drop. Keep an eye out.

#289732  by GP40MC 1116

trainiac wrote:
A friend of mine had a Canon Rebel SLR (the film Rebel, not the digital Rebel) that died about a month after the one-year warranty expired. It can happen with both mediums. Sad

The digital that died was a Canon Powershot S45. It took fantastic pictures until the dreaded "E18" error came up. Type "Canon E18" into Google and you'll get over 150,000 matches. It's a major problem with Canon digitals, but I haven't heard of any such occurance with Nikons. My film camera is a Chinon GS-7--a rare and unusual automatic SLR from around 1990.
Speaking of digital's that have died. My Canon Powershot A60 was working great, until what Canon thiks of as a "Defective CCD" has happened to it, now the immages are wayyy distorted and messed up. I wonder to try and fix it, it's ony 2.0 pixels, or go up for the EOS Digital Rebel XT :wink:

#289838  by MEC407

Replacing the CCD in a 2MP P&S would cost way more than the camera is worth.