Railroad Forums 

• Photography At Union Station, Washington

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#231143  by benltrain

What is the photography situation at Union Station in Washington. If I start taking pictures will I be questioned, arrested, etc.? Are there any photography bans or rules in place there?

benltrain

#231166  by Gilbert B Norman

NOT RECOMMENDED

#231171  by benltrain

elaborate please...

anybody have personal experience? i realize i am walking into the nations capitol with a camera and that it might, ok, it probably will, be suspicious. i, however, am usually pretty good with officials, but not defying their orders (BAD idea).

i am planning to maybe take a trip there, but not if the first thing i hear will be "put that camera away" or else that whole trip will be much less worthwhile.

i have brought a video camera in there on a couple past occasions. the time i used it a lot in the station was in 2003, during the 60% off acela sale on 2118 (basically a we-are-discounting-this-train-because-it-is-a-late-train-that-makes-every-stop train: new carrolton, BWI, baltimore, wlimington, philadelphia, trenton, metropark, newark, and new york). i went way out of the way (coming home from new york to philadelphia) to do it, and nobody stopped me and my hulking video camera (my old one)

i take my camera and video camera on a lot of trains, and have only been stopped a couple times, normally times i would only be restricted a little bit by the request. people just stop me less than others, dunno why.

nonetheless, times have changes, and i would appreciate it if anybody can share their experience with photography lately.

#231188  by gprimr1

Probally not because there are tunnels under DC accessable from Union Station.

#231190  by benltrain

gprimr1 wrote:Probally not because there are tunnels under DC accessable from Union Station.
that is likely why you need a ticket to get to the lower level, which by the way means i won't go down there anyway...

#231303  by GeorgeF

A few months ago, I was approached when taking a photo of a large banner in the boarding area (near Gate H, IIRC). The banner was in honor of the troops on the special train to the Army-Navy game in Philadelphia. A policeman came over and told me there was "no photography" in the boarding area :(, but photography is OK in the main concourse (the large hall first seen when entering from Columbus Circle). There were no signs to explain any of this; I took the officer at his word, right or wrong, and left with no issues or problems at all. I suspect taking photos would be even more frowned upon at any track level, but I have no recent experience there. Another option might be to take photos from the Metro stop at New York Avenue/Florida Avenue/Gallaudet U., but even there, it might be an issue. All trains pass this location, even the VRE commuter trains as the enter or leave the yard. It's a great location. But check http://www.wmata.com/about/phnumber.cfm to see if photography is allowed. These are paranoid times we live in, but just becasue we're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after us...

#231312  by njtmnrrbuff

Since 9-11 we have to be mindful about where we are taking pictures. Union station, I've heard mixed reviews. I can tell you one thing. DO NOT even think about going on to the platforms unless you have a ticket for a train. For non-ticketed passengers, I'm not sure about the upper level part of the station. Great views there. There are quite a few good places in and around D.C. for passenger train spotting like "Elephant" plaza. New carrolton might be good also.

#231355  by Hudson Terminus

New Carrollton is nice because of the parking garages. However, I've been kicked off the Amtrak platform before for not having a ticket, and was questioned by police on my interest in trains. Never fun. The parking garages are best...usually in the morning till high sun.

Also, from Union Station, 1 stop away on the Red Line is New York Ave. This is a nice afternoon location that sees all of the action in and out of US. I've never had a problem there, but woulden't want to be there all day.

#231423  by benltrain

union station is where i want to go because it has many more lines to see (and much more to eat or do) than NC, BWI, LP, NYA, or anywhere else....

#231478  by Hudson Terminus

True, US has all of the lines to see in DC, only, you won't actually get to see much there.

#231481  by benltrain

Hudson Terminus wrote:True, US has all of the lines to see in DC, only, you won't actually get to see much there.
by the way, i have been there before. they won't stop you if you just walk up to a MARC/amtrak platform. maybe, when nobody is looking, i can steal a pic :wink:

#231522  by Hudson Terminus

You can do whatever you want, but it has been my experience(s) that they're not too fond of that type of stuff. I prefer to take my time and avoid any potential "situations".

Good luck, and enjoy.

#231588  by GeorgeF

Hudson Terminus wrote:True, US has all of the lines to see in DC, only, you won't actually get to see much there.
Re: My comment above: New York Avenue is one very short stop away on Metro from Union Station. Much better viewing there, I think, than at WAS. But see my comment about taking pix.

#231629  by benltrain

GeorgeF wrote:
Re: My comment above: New York Avenue is one very short stop away on Metro from Union Station. Much better viewing there, I think, than at WAS. But see my comment about taking pix.
amtrak trains are not stopped there, so you get less photos of less trains. you also won't be able to see VRE, and possibly both of the MARC lines (do not know this myself).

#231895  by FL9

Mr. benltrain, I understand your burning desire about Union Station, there have been some other great places mentioned by fellow members that I have been to but in my opinion the ultimate location is by far, Union Station. Unfortunately, the security and rules and regulations allow you to accomplish little as far as taking pictures goes. Passing through without a ticket or trying to sneak a picture while nobody is looking is not recommended by me either. With my experience there last week I have mixed feelings about that station now. On Monday, March 27, 2006 a very kind Amtrak employee allowed me to go past the gates for a brief moment to take a couple of photos. By approaching him at one of the service counters in front of the gates I explained the situation to him and my interest in the railroad. He was little uneasy at first but then told me to go ahead if I wanted, but make it quick. He was even kind enough to point towards the gates where the Acelas would be. With my brief time on the platform, dozens of Amtrak employees/workers passed by me and didnt even think twice about me. I was only questioned once by an employee and after explaining myself he was alright with me but simply told me I can take one more picture if I wanted to but then I must leave. I was satisfied with what I took and gave great thanks to the gentlemen back at the counter. My take on that day is that I encountered the right people at the right time but, talking in some cases might actually help and always keep your cool when questioned by officials.
Last edited by FL9 on Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.