Railroad Forums 

• Scanner for Kodachrome Slides

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#1251465  by HarryP

I'm looking to buy a new scanner to replace my CanoScanFS4000, which is about 11 years old. The scanner was great -- I used it mainly for making 8x10 prints from my slides. The only problem I ever had with it was that it will not clean dust from Kodachrome and B&W slides. I had to remove dust and scratches manually, which is very time-consuming. With Ektachrome and Fujichrome I could use the scanner's clean-dust feature with no problem.

What I need to know is: What would be a good replacement scanner that works well with Kodachrome? Also, I need a feature to scan negatives larger than 35mm, as I have many of those. I'm willing to spend up to around $2,000. Any help would be appreciated.
 #1377537  by BigDell

Curious, did you ever buy a new scanner? I have the same question - best scanner for 35mm slides. Let me know if you got one.
Thanks,
BigDell
 #1633708  by XBNSFer

I know this is an old topic, but the "best scanner" for any film is...not a scanner.

A full frame DSLR with a 1:1 macro lens and a film digitizing setup like Nikon's ES-2 will allow rapid digitization of your film. The eternity you WON'T spend waiting for scans will give you plenty of time to clean up dust bunnies.