Railroad Forums 

• 120 Film

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#96148  by Aero_rail_nut

Anyone here have experience in 120 format flim. In particular processing, proofing and enlargments. I am in the Long island area and I am looking for some decent labs. The people on other photo boards were not as responsive so I am going to try here.

I recentley acquired acquired a Hasselblad at a garage sale for a ridicilously low price with a great lens. I shot some film, but no conventional labs touch the stuff, as I can wonder why. I would consider going to the city to get it processed, but that is the last resort.
 #96238  by MikeF

Aero_rail_nut wrote:I shot some film, but no conventional labs touch the stuff, as I can wonder why.
What is your idea of a "conventional lab," and what type of film were you shooting? No, the local drug store or Wal-Mart won't touch 120 film, but I've never heard of a pro lab that doesn't handle medium format black-and-white, C-41 and E-6 film. Sorry, I'm not from your area so I can't recommend any labs.

#96264  by Ken W2KB

Look for pro labs in the yellow pages. If that fails, call some wedding photographer pros and ask where they get it done.
 #96292  by MEC407

MikeF wrote:
Aero_rail_nut wrote:I shot some film, but no conventional labs touch the stuff, as I can wonder why.
What is your idea of a "conventional lab," and what type of film were you shooting? No, the local drug store or Wal-Mart won't touch 120 film, but I've never heard of a pro lab that doesn't handle medium format black-and-white, C-41 and E-6 film.
Agreed. Any true "pro lab" will be able to process 120. Even some of the pro-amateur or "prosumer" labs I've been to can do 120. And there are plenty of mail-order labs that can do it, such as A&I Color Lab, Dale Labs, and even Vermont Color, which is one of the cheaper ones.

#96328  by Aero_rail_nut

I am new to the eastern end (moriches) of long island. I used to be able to hop on the train and go to the city (typically went to Spectra labs) when I lived in Bayside.

As for conventional labs I meant places like WalMart, Ritz and others. And they farm the stuff out. Just looking for a closer place to get film processed.

I am kinda hesatinant about sending 120 film via mail as it is quite temprature sensative. Not sure if it is going to be traveling in a really heated storage container for a long time.

#96349  by MEC407

120 film is no more sensitive to heat than any other film... 35mm, etc. It all comes from the same sheet, just cut to different sizes and lengths. I routinely send film from Maine (where I live) to California (where A&I is located) and I've never had any problems.