Railroad Forums 

• how to avoid blurring

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#89088  by RCH022

I was wondering how to avoid getting blurred pictures. I have a 3.2 mp nikon coolpix and i took a picture of a NS freight probs going around 50 mph or so in sumwut poor lighting and it was blurry. I didnt move the camera w/the train or anything so should I? and im also interested in taking pictures of fast moving amtrak trains so any advice on how to avoid blurring will be appreciated. THANKS

#89092  by Ken W2KB

Assuming you are using the max shutter speed for the lighting conditions and sensitivity setting (if adjustable with that camera):

The closer to head on you shoot, the less the blur effect. It's at its worst when you shoot at 90 degrees (the side as it goes by.)

A 'trick,' often used for a special effect to imply speed, is to pan the camera with the moving subject. That is, track the train in the viewfinder, the train tends to be sharp and the background more blurred.

#90583  by johnnynick

I'f you are using auto focus, which you probably are with a digital, you should try holding the shutter about half way before you snap the photo and follow the subject along, this will allow the camera time to focus before you take the shot. By just pressing the shutter, the camera may have trouble focusing on a fast moving object in time before the photo is taken.

#90639  by railohio

Use a tripod,
Use a wider lens,
Use a faster shutter speed,
Above all, try again!

#101856  by AMoreira81

If you do not have a tripod, use some flat surface as a tripod. And in night, wait for the object to becomr still, whether your camera is digital or film.

#103397  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

i take pics of Acela and where i photograph it, it is traveling at 150 mph. and the pictures come out great, i have a digital camera and what i do is hold the shutter down just before the train is about to come, let the camera focus and then snap the photo, but i can't wait too late, becuase then it becomes blurry

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... y=MBTA1050

i had to resize that photo

#105528  by prt1607j

fastest possible dang shutter speed... and smallest aperature on ur camera... right now my deal is i cannot figgure out why my last set of negatives with my camera came out dark.. 50 speed film shot out side on a very bright day using 250-500 shutter speed.. then again when i made my negatives for my project on the light box macro with a different camera and those too came out dark.. i think it was just the mixture of the developer but either way they came out dark.. oh well