Railroad Forums 

• ALCO S2 or similar model brake stand lever?

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#956737  by Visionz45

I have a brakestand lever from one of Portland Terminal Co. ALCO's. This was given to me by my father who worked for PTM and later for Guilford. It looks to be modified with an extension welded on, but, I'm not sure. Its appears to be bent to a degree. Any ideas on what model ALCO(or other manufacturer) and if this is original or altered?
Attachments:
SAM_0363.JPG
SAM_0363.JPG (314.89 KiB) Viewed 4095 times
SAM_0367.JPG
SAM_0367.JPG (317.76 KiB) Viewed 4095 times
SAM_0362.JPG
SAM_0362.JPG (312.44 KiB) Viewed 4095 times
 #958190  by bml1149

Good evening,
This does indeed look like the independent brake valve handle from an Alco switcher. It had been modified with that steel bar welded to it and it appears to have a round hole instead of a square hole in the area where the steel bar has been welded. I'm wondering if this handle was used for some other purpose later on which would explain the welded on bar and bend in it.
We own the 1055, which, as far as I know, is the last 1000 HP PT Alco left in New England. It's independent brake handle looks like your handle without the steel bar, of course. It also has a square hole which is necessary for it to fit over the valve stem and for it to work properly.
Your father didn't say what the unit number was the handle came from, by chance? That may help track it down.
Leverett Fernald
Downeast Scenic Railroad
 #959273  by Visionz45

He can't remember what unit it belonged to. He does think that it was modified for another use at some point. It's still pretty cool and him saving it from the trash can will make for an interesting convo piece.