Railroad Forums 

• ALCo RSX-4 MRS1 axle and wheels

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#900342  by Owen S. Paulsen

Hi;
We are the Pacific Southwest Railway Museum (dba San Diego Railroad Museum).
We have the Axle on 2 EMD MRS-1 (12 axle) that have hollow axle and the solid to make in compliance with FRA and AAR with wheel shop to new wheel on the loco.
Will the axle a ALCo RSX-4 MRS1 would fit in the EMD MRS-1 an the Bull Gear from EMD on the axle for ALCo? The problem is the hollow bore a the old EMD an the ALCo is solid.
The ALCo RSX-4 MRS-1 is a mulitgage 6 axle built 83 for the Army after EMD built 13 a lost the contract.

Do you know in the ALCo will fill in the EMD?
I have a picture of a EMD wheel-axle set . EMD wheel 9.230 wheel seat diameter and 11.125 wheel seat length with a length of 8.521 foot
The only thing is the diameter of the ALCo the Traction bearing and the Bull Gear bore and length is 8.521.
The idea is to put the ALCo Axle in the place of the EMD Axle but keep the EMD Traction Motor an Bull gear.
The 6 1/2 x12 in O.K. but I do now the ALCo GE 5GE731F1 bearing are the same as bearing on a D27 EMD motor? and the size of the axle for Bull gear and the wheel.
I can not get a ALCo of the Drawing to compare them to each.

http://www.psrm.org/roster/diesel/d-1809/index.html
http://www.psrm.org/roster/diesel/d-2104/index.html

Smile

Stan Paulsen
 #900939  by Owen S. Paulsen

tgibson wrote:Of course here on this forum we would prefer that you restore the Alco and leave the EMD to rot in the back... :)
The ALCo RSX-4 MRS1 is a one of type locomotive the what made by GE using ALCo engine and the shell.
The reason is GE at the time of the contract had not big loco for GE
I do not want a ALCo RSX-4 MRS1 only the idea if that long axle will fit it a EMD an because ALCo are scrap if the fit.

Stan Paulsen