Railroad Forums 

• 17MG3/6 governor info needed

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#685018  by jjsatorm

At Oklahoma Railway Museum, we've recently gotten the restoration of RS3 #2 to the point where we can fire her up. However, the governor is not picking up when we start. Watching it during start, the fuel limit rheostat is not moving, whereas the load control and stabalizing poteniometers are.

We are very close to getting this used and abused RS3 back to operating condition, but none of us has any experience with governor repair. Can anybody fill us in on what the problems may be? Any help would be appreciated.

John
 #821533  by jjsatorm

Thanks to the previous post, we got hold of folks at Orange Empire Rwy Museum, who were able to help up work through the governor issues. RS3 #2 is up and running pretty well, if I do say so. We have to replace a broken truck spring, then she is ready for a blue-card. #2 is the only running Alco in the state of Oklahoma, as far as I know. I have posted pictures at:

http://jjs_fnw.rrpicturearchives.net/archivethumbs.aspx?id=55373

We have ex Rock Island RS1 #743 and sister RS3 #3 yet to go. The RS1 should be next into the shop, after we fix various broken stuff in our F9A.

John from ORM