Railroad Forums 

• ALCO-GE Diesel School

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#628635  by SSW9389

I have placed two photos here from the ALCO-GE Diesel School. These
photos were sent to me by a Robert Webb of TEXAS. His father was H.
E. Webb a Cotton Belt employee from 1936-1978. He retired as a
General Foreman working out of Commerce, TEXAS. I would like to find
out a bit more about the Alco-GE Diesel School. The class photo may
have been taken in 1952. There is a short news item in Cotton Belt
News saying that Cotton Belt employees had been sent to this school
in early 1952. That would be between deliveries of RS-3s to the
Cotton Belt.

H. E. Webb's Class photo circa 1952

H. E. Webb's lighter from Diesel School.

Thanks for any reply,

Ed Cooper
 #628715  by JKR251

Wonderful photos Ed, thanks for sharing them with us.

ALCO training was structured to introduce students to all phases of a locomotive; from its construction, to its operation and of course strict adherence to ALCO locomotive maintenance procedures. Although the course was structured with a specific outline, the training was flexible enough to allow students to concentrate on particular areas of locomotive maintenance that interested them the most. Likewise, the services of the ALCO instructors and the training facilities were available at all times to address these special interests. Students were encouraged to take advantage of this offer during their visit.

A fair amount of time was also spent in the plant allowing students to "check out" completed locomotives. ALCO reps were on-hand to answer any questions.

Classes were scheduled to begin each day at 8:30 AM and conclude at 4:30 PM and typically ran for a two week period. Lunch was served daily in the ALCO cafeteria where a table (or tables depending on class size) was reserved for the attendees.

A social get together was held at the Locomotive Club where students were cordially invited to meet with ALCO and GE representatives. This typically started at 8:00 PM.

Students were required to wear an identification badge at all times while on company property. The badge was to be returned following the conclusion of the course.

A class photo and certificate were presented to each student at the conclusion of the training.

ALCO's Director of Training and Education was G. Y. Taylor.

JR
 #628821  by Allen Hazen

I don't have my copy here to check, but I think Steinbrenner's "Alco: a centennial history" has some informationabout the training school: general historical information, complementary to JKR251's more specific, what it was like to be there, account. (So: thank you, JKR 251: you've helped fill a gap left by my reading!)
 #628840  by SSW9389

Allen: Yes see Steinbrenner pp 312-316 of Centennial for a thumbnail sketch of what Steinbrenner calls ALCO-GE's Field Support. And my thanks to JKR 251 for responding to this thread. Together we all learn.
Allen Hazen wrote:I don't have my copy here to check, but I think Steinbrenner's "Alco: a centennial history" has some informationabout the training school: general historical information, complementary to JKR251's more specific, what it was like to be there, account. (So: thank you, JKR 251: you've helped fill a gap left by my reading!)