Railroad Forums 

• Ohio Central Alcos

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#605597  by scottychaos

Luther Brefo wrote:Recent information suggests that the G&W purchased the Ohio Central companies but not the motive power. As such any and all OHCR motive power is still under ownership of Mr. J (to the third power.)
How can you buy a railroad but not buy its locomotives?
how is G&W going to operate the OC if they dont own the OC locomotives?

Scot
 #605609  by apratt

scottychaos wrote:

Scot
According to the November issue of Rumorpace, GWI bought the EMD and GE fleets, but not the Alcos or steamers. Can't find any other confirmation online though.
 #605666  by scottychaos

apratt wrote:
scottychaos wrote:

Scot
According to the November issue of Rumorpace, GWI bought the EMD and GE fleets, but not the Alcos or steamers. Can't find any other confirmation online though.
ah! well that would make more sense..thanks..
I cant imagine G&W would buy the OC but buy no OC locomotives at all!
that would make no sense..
thanks,
Scot
 #607075  by Luther Brefo

scottychaos wrote:
apratt wrote:
scottychaos wrote:

Scot
ah! well that would make more sense..thanks..
I cant imagine G&W would buy the OC but buy no OC locomotives at all!
that would make no sense..
thanks,
Scot
Scot,

Actually it makes perfect sense. Don't believe everything you read in Railpace. If you want a part of something but not the whole, you have the option to negotiate for the part you want. While this may not always happen, it is an option. Many shortlines begin by buying the railroad and no necessarily inheriting the motive power with the deal. When NYGL sold out earlier this year or was it late last year, they sold the line sans motive power. This is why the NYGL RS-3, E8 and GP9, made it out without being a part of the deal. GWI has a plan of its own.
 #607161  by thebigham

64 locomotives were included when the G&W bought the OC.

The owner of the OC kept 32 locomotives for restoration purposes.

The roster in Railpace came directly from the OC.
 #607583  by apratt

Luther Brefo wrote: Actually it makes perfect sense. Don't believe everything you read in Railpace. If you want a part of something but not the whole, you have the option to negotiate for the part you want. While this may not always happen, it is an option. Many shortlines begin by buying the railroad and no necessarily inheriting the motive power with the deal. When NYGL sold out earlier this year or was it late last year, they sold the line sans motive power. This is why the NYGL RS-3, E8 and GP9, made it out without being a part of the deal. GWI has a plan of its own.
And don't believe everything you read on Railroad.net either . . .

That's why when I responded I was careful to note that I could not find any confirmation of the OC loco sale to GWI. I don't believe the NYGL example is a good one in this case. The line was what, maybe two miles long, and powered by what are essentially museum pieces. The OC was a large regional with a fleet of 2nd and 3rd generation EMD and GE power. If they were purchased, they may actually contain some of the youngest power on the GWI roster other than the MP15's.
 #607850  by Luther Brefo

apratt wrote:
Luther Brefo wrote: Actually it makes perfect sense. Don't believe everything you read in Railpace. If you want a part of something but not the whole, you have the option to negotiate for the part you want. While this may not always happen, it is an option. Many shortlines begin by buying the railroad and no necessarily inheriting the motive power with the deal. When NYGL sold out earlier this year or was it late last year, they sold the line sans motive power. This is why the NYGL RS-3, E8 and GP9, made it out without being a part of the deal. GWI has a plan of its own.
And don't believe everything you read on Railroad.net either . . .

That's why when I responded I was careful to note that I could not find any confirmation of the OC loco sale to GWI. I don't believe the NYGL example is a good one in this case. The line was what, maybe two miles long, and powered by what are essentially museum pieces. The OC was a large regional with a fleet of 2nd and 3rd generation EMD and GE power. If they were purchased, they may actually contain some of the youngest power on the GWI roster other than the MP15's.

Fair enough on many of your points. Take everything with a grain of salt. I'll agree I was not 100% correct. I suppose my initial sources were not quite correct. We'll see how this ends up I guess in the coming years.