Railroad Forums 

• What does the future hold for Alco locomotives?

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#508609  by wess

came accross this in Youtube today. Wonder if the guys at FM/Alco have thought of adapting a 251 to do this. In the clip, the guy had demonstrated a machine that ran on nothing more than water. He also has a car that can run on water. Wonder what an 251 would sound like with this fuel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ChLaqkm_ME

#508676  by conrail_engineer

wess wrote:came accross this in Youtube today. Wonder if the guys at FM/Alco have thought of adapting a 251 to do this. In the clip, the guy had demonstrated a machine that ran on nothing more than water. He also has a car that can run on water. Wonder what an 251 would sound like with this fuel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ChLaqkm_ME
Sure - just hope he doesn't take an offer to sell his invention by the multinational energy cartels. Because he'll shortly disappear forever - like that guy that invented the 100-mpg carburetor!! :P

Read this here: http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=56705

This guy isn't going to power Alcos or Fords or welding tools or ANYTHING with his twaddle - all he's powering is his bank account, with the proceeds from the foolhardy.
 #509111  by midwest fred

Many ways to slice this one up. You could go by region or geography. By engine type, etc... but it probably all starts with the catalog of "specialty tools" which I know you (and I) have. Then find out who has them, and build the information in a accessible format (like Excel or Access). Of course the key is to ID who has the tools and would either make the repairs for a cost, or would even consider loaning or renting the tools out. I would imagine that a museum or not-for-profit look versus for-profit would be different as well.

As far as T89SA's go, I just got a complete one RTO donated to one of the few operators in the country. Still has generator attached, well maintained backup power source. Should run just fine with low hours on it. Also have a second one on the way, and there supposed to be a room of NOS parts on the shelf to go with it.

Stuff is still out there, you just goota keep on the lookout and take advantage of when it becomes available. We ain't dead yet !

Fred.

#509311  by MEC407

I just saw a post on the "LocoNotes" Yahoo Group which says (paraphrased) that the WNY&P RR has a new president who is pro-EMD and/or anti-Alco. Does this mean that WNY&P's Alcos will be going away in the near future?

#509337  by RS-3

Do you have the message number handy? I can't find it.

Sounds like a worthless rumor to me. I've heard nothing that indicates any "anti-Alco" stance. Too much jumping to conclusions here with tales being told and retold. The company has too much invested in Alcos to drop them and a really good Alco CMO. I serious doubt WNY&P's Alcos are going anywhere fast.

That said, the big question right now as I see it is when are the Alcos in the dead lines going to start replacing the EMDs now on the property. So far, at the rate the "new" Alcos are entering service it'll take a long time to displace the leased EMDs. (By my count the WNY&P has the same number of "active" Alcos right now as they did before they took over the BL last summer. Hopefully once the new shop is up and a crew is at work there maybe things will start to improve. Right now winter woes, travel, etc are no doubt eating up a lot of manpower.)

Until someone speaks for the LAL/WNYP and says something definitive, I'd not put much credence in rumors like this one.

RS

#509361  by MEC407

The message # is 68783. The subject is "Re: UP/CSX AC6000, UP/CP SD-90MAC--any running?". The bit about the WNY&P is in the second paragraph of the message.

#509442  by JKR251

Last edited by JKR251 on Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#509446  by MEC407

Thanks for the info and clarification, gents.

#510017  by pablo

Considering how non-fuel efficient SD45's are, I'm certain that the WNYP is most interested in getting the ALCos running.

Dave Becker
 #511837  by prakash

ALCO 251 power plant based locos are still
made at Diesel Loco Works (DLW) in India.

DLW has made 4,500+ units and they had
Transfer of Technology agreement with ALCO in
early 60s.

They modified ALCO 251C 16-cylinder plant
to generate 3,500 HP against 2,600 in original
ALCO design.

And yes, I am aware that F-M offers kits to
extract 4,000 HP from same power plant.

I wonder what did F-M modify besides
crankshaft, camshaft, piston crown and
increasing engine RPM?

Can F-M re-manufacture them after EPA Tier-II
standards became effective?

Your input will be appreciated.

Regards,

Prakash

#516889  by tgibson

Hi,

I'll be interested in seeing the cost of a repowered loco vs an Alco...

#516959  by Lehighton_Man

Actually, a friend and myself, were wanting to start a whole separate forum for ALCos and related subjects a while back, when i stumbled on a website that remakes ALCo Parts for 244s and 251s. I dont know where this compnay is based out of, but they make new, and they refurbish old parts, as well as buy older ALCo/MLW locomotives for rebuild and rent/lease/sale. I cant remember th link so dont come a-askin' for it.
as for new 539 parts? Im SFB.(dont ask..)
Cheers.
Sean
 #517421  by Nasadowsk

Tier II compliance is a moot point, Tier IV becomes law in 2015. Not even the GEVO can meet it without after treatment, which may NOT be a simple particulate trap/catalyst, and it's not unrealistic to expect another tightening of standards in the future. Of course, the industry has welcomed the new regulations (GE, not surprisingly - the EPA's effectively nailed EMD's coffin shut now). Of course, that might just encourage the EPA to tighten things a bit more - after all, if the industry's not upset, it can't be THAT hard, could it?