Railroad Forums 

• RS-11M

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#489579  by csrrfan86

I am modeling Maine Coast in HO and they had an ex-N&W/CV RS-11M. What is the difference between that and a regular RS-11?

#490354  by Champlain Division

An "M" suffix on most locomotives usually means that it has been "modified" in some manner from its original configuration.

#492002  by mandealco

Hi
From what I remember, the 3609 was a more standard RS-11 than the other CV/DW&P units. They were early RS-11s with the lightweight MLW trucks (in later years anyway), and the earlier style shorthood mounted dynamic brakes. The former N&W unit was added as a wreck replacement and had a more usual configuration apart from the odd (N&W style) car body filter covers. All were short hood forward. I believe it was this unit that went to the Maine Coast.

I'm not sure about the "m" classification of this unit but externally it was largely standard.

Cheers
Steve
Modelling the M&E in NZ.