• ALCO S-6's for sale

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

by johnjohn

I have 2 Alco S-6's that I would like to sell. Just wondering if anyone would be interrested. One runs, but was stopped being used 3 years ago and the other would be good for parts. The one that runs is in good condition, but the other is pretty rough. I do not know much about these, except that they were made from May 1955 to December of 1960, and only 126 of these were ever made. They are a diesel-electric locomotive of the switcher type constructed by ALCO of Schenectady, New York. It has a 251A or 251B engine rated at 900 horsepower, and rode on two-axle AAR trucks, giving a B-B wheel arrangement. I would entertain an offer on these locomotives, as I am not totally sure what they are worth, but do know what it would bring for scrap. SO, if no one is interrested in buying them, that is what I will do with them. Just wanted to see if anyone would want them, since they are so rare, before cutting them up.

Thanks,

John Lockhart

by thebigham

Thanks, John!
  by Alcoman

johnjohn wrote:I have 2 Alco S-6's that I would like to sell. Just wondering if anyone would be interrested. One runs, but was stopped being used 3 years ago and the other would be good for parts. The one that runs is in good condition, but the other is pretty rough. I do not know much about these, except that they were made from May 1955 to December of 1960, and only 126 of these were ever made. They are a diesel-electric locomotive of the switcher type constructed by ALCO of Schenectady, New York. It has a 251A or 251B engine rated at 900 horsepower, and rode on two-axle AAR trucks, giving a B-B wheel arrangement. I would entertain an offer on these locomotives, as I am not totally sure what they are worth, but do know what it would bring for scrap. SO, if no one is interrested in buying them, that is what I will do with them. Just wanted to see if anyone would want them, since they are so rare, before cutting them up.

Thanks,

John Lockhart
Some questions:
1) Are they equipped with MU ?
2) Do they have friction bearing trucks or roller bearing trucks?
3) do you know who the previous owner was?
4) you say one is in rough shape-does it run? If not do you know why?
Thanks

by Alcoman

Former Holly Sugar ALCO S-6 An old photo of the S6 Unit will be sold or leased as having roller bearing
wheel sets. It should be pointed out that the Holly Sugar S-6 is one of 5 currently for sale. Not connected to above posts.
John

by thebigham

How many S6s are left? I have 7 on an old list.

T6s? I have 10 on an old list.

by Alcoman

thebigham wrote:How many S6s are left? I have 7 on an old list.

T6s? I have 10 on an old list.

There are more than 7 S-6's, but I will have compile a list. I will have to print that in Alco Notes too.
To start with, the Asbestos's & Danville in Canada has 7 of them.
There are 5 for sale.
DL 1
Middletown & Hummelstown 1
Anderson Grain in Ohio 1
Relco 2
Dow Chemical in Canada 3.
Ontario Southland 1
There are at least 8 or 9 others around the U.S at industrial sites-off the top of my head.
If you include the S-13- the MLW version of the S-6, add approx 20 units.
There are at least 5 T-6's in the U.S off the top of my head. This includes # 1016 and 1017-the last 2 built

:-D

by Spartan Phalanx

Doesn't Ohio Central have the ex-Monongehela T-6 equipped with Hi-Ad trucks?

by Alcoman

Spartan Phalanx wrote:Doesn't Ohio Central have the ex-Monongehela T-6 equipped with Hi-Ad trucks?
You're right. Former MC 400 I think they also have an S-6 also.

by thebigham

Thanks!!!

by Luther Brefo

Can't some of our local ALCO powered shortlines use one or more of these S-6s?

I'm thinking LAL, GVT, BSOR, etc etc.

by Mike Walsh

if they were interested in them, they'd buy them... that about sums it up.

by Alcoman

Mike Walsh wrote:if they were interested in them, they'd buy them... that about sums it up.
Its not quite that simple.. The (good)Holly Sugar S-6 has RB trucks, New Batteries and is Blue Carded. The asking price is $ 110,000 !
A bit steep for an Alco. A bit over priced in my opinion. I don't see a lot of shortlines with pockets that deep either.

by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

Alcoman, where are there 5 for sale?

by Alcoman

2 for sale in central TX for $15,000 each.
2 in California (Holly Sugar)
The 5th one was scrapped.

by tj48

With all the lights on the nose of the Holly Sugar unit am I correct in guessing that it's a former SP unit?