Railroad Forums 

• Alcos Out West

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#398720  by GOLDEN-ARM

Where's the closest surviviving C-415, to Albany/Portland Or.? Would like to get my hands on one, for an hour, or so........ :wink:

#400801  by BSOR Patarak

I'd have to say that the Chehalis Western #684 would be the closest to Portland, Oregon. This 415 was built on Hi-Ad trucks and is currently on Tacoma Rail and is reportedly on lease to American Orient Express. They are leasing the ex CEECO shop for repair of their coaches and use the engine as a shop switcher.

I had also heard that the Alco V-8 251 had been replaced by a Caterpillar engine. This is RUMOR, I have no proof, though would like verification on it.

Pat Connors
Buffalo Southern RR

#400959  by GOLDEN-ARM

A Caterpilar? Hardly an Alco then. :( Thanks anyways....... :wink:

#402035  by N. Todd

Has anyone even thought of ASKING THEM?
Whenever month I will go by and open it's engine compartment doors

#402179  by 2spot

The seemingly recent pictures I found of the C-415 show a well worn but stock Alco. The Cat converted locomotives I've seen are obviously modified. See this link: http://www.trainweb.org/mccann/photos2.htm

#402843  by GN 599

What ever happened to the Curtis Milburne and Eastern C-415? Is the Chehalis Western one the same one you guys are talking about because I think she is all Alco.

#403150  by wess

They are one and the same.
 #493763  by jr

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Don't get too excited about that LV 211. An Alco carbody, hiding an EMD prime mover, hardly qualifies as an Alco. I personally know of an offer, to repower that Alco, with a 244 from a donor unit, but they wan't to keep it EMD, for whatever bizarre reason.......... :(
Having been closely associated with the diesels at the RGVRRM for over 20 years, I find this statement to be, surprising, to put it mildly. Perhaps GOLDEN-ARM could take a break from his commentary on the 211 long enough to illuminate us with a few little items like 1) Who made such an offer to repower the 211 with a 244? 2) When was this offer made? 3) To whom at RGVRRM was the offer made? 4) And who turned down such an offer?

JR
 #496285  by jr

Well, GOLDEN-ARM, it's been over a week. How about that offer to re-engine the 211, that you personally know about? I'm still listening, and "anxiously" waiting for that proposal to roll through RGVRRM.

Please, respond with more details.

JR