Railroad Forums 

• Air Force #6601 (Alco S1)

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#377667  by Engineer James

Well, gents. Noted this little beast for sale, US Air Force #6601. She is an Alco S1, appearently shown by the photos not very well taken care of for only 1,000 Hours of service. But, This locomotive appeals to me to possibily if some minor repairs or upgrades, she could be back in operation for a small switching railroad couldn't she?

I am not a techincal guy when it comes to PM's but is having a Non-Turbo good for an Alco? I thought it was standard.[/quote]

#381402  by Nova55

I think the toughest problem would be the plain bearing trucks under that.But the body/cab looks pretty solid other then missing glass. However looks can be very deceiving.

#381585  by 2spot

Unit has been sold.

#381624  by N. Todd

For scrap?

#382157  by 2spot

Good question. I hope not.

Edit: I don't know if its related or not, but a recent ad on Railswap was looking for glass for an S-1. Ad # 7371. If so, its going to Stone Mountain, Georgia.

#382682  by Engineer James

Darn.... however hopefully she will be cherished by a good road.....

#382721  by Aji-tater

Needs switching step modifications to be FRA legal

#382750  by Engineer James

I agree.

#384517  by Paul

Turbo or non turbo 539s were the rule of the day. Non turbo 539 switchers, S1 & S3 were 660hp, turbo 539 were S-2 & S4 as well as RS-1 were rated at 1,000hp @ 740RPM. The later 251 and 244 engines were never offered without the turbo.

#457473  by savannahandatlanta750

I just spent five days in windy Kansas helping to resurrect this locomotive. Work is ongoing at this very moment. She now has refurbished AAR type A roller bearing trucks. We found some water leaks that need to be fixed, but with a hose constantly running she would hold enough water to run. She fired up, idled nicely and built air like nobody's business, but wouldn't load. This was probably due to sticking contactors and other "sitting too long" factors. Incidentally, if anyone knows where my associate (the owner) can get a fireman's side lower radiator header I would greatly appreciate the info.

#464573  by midwest fred

Contact Silcott Railway Equipment. They should have a header for you no problem. 614-885-7224 Tell them Island Rail LLC referred you.

Fred.